Honored Contributor

Re: metoprolol, toprol or other beta blockers

[ Edited ]

I was on Atenolol for over 35 years with no discernable side effects.  Recently the company making it couldn't acquire one of the ingredients and the pharmacy couldn't guarantee it would be coming back in.... so I was changed to Metoprolol.

I didn't have weight gain but it is listed as a possible side effect... but I did experience higher sugar level readings, a cough that was similar to one I had on Lisinopril. dizziness, vivid dreams, insane itching, chills and far more tired feeling like I had lead legs.  I was taken off this drug after two months and am on Atenolol again hoping it will be around for me.  Over the years, I've had no weight gain with Atenolol.

One word of warning.  Never go off this class of drug without a doctor's help.  Do not cut these pills in half in order to titrate down.  Always talk to your doctor and let the him/her prescribe whole pills in lesser doses in order to quit.  Extremely dangerous to do it yourself.....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Of course, this a question for your cardiologist but I do know that Atenolol, which is a beta blocker can cause weight gain.  However, not 20 or 30lbs.  That's the donuts and fried chicken not the medication.  I take Atenolol and when my weight loss slowed, I did the Google thing and thought it might be the Atenolol.  My cardiologists and my endocrinologist said that the average weight gain for those who had that side effect was 3-4lbs for new users. and for those on weight loss diets, Atenolol has no affect.  

My Harvard trained cardiologist told me that it often decreases exercise tolerance and in susceptible individuals can cause weight gain. Beg your pardon but I haven't eaten fried chicken or donuts since ...well since ever. As a type 1 diabetic I would probably be dead if I had. To imply people are eating junk food when the medication is clearly at fault is insulting.

Trusted Contributor

hi Q4U, thanks for sharing. I at one time was  on both atenolol and metoprol and experienced a lot of what you stated. Althought the weight gain might not be typical, it does happen to some.

Trusted Contributor

Hello twinkies, what a cute name. I am glad to see others expressing the side effects they have experienced. I have had a lot of the side effects a few of you guys have stated as well. 

Super Contributor

Yes I take metoprolol and ever since I have gained a fair amount of weight. Because it slows your heart rate that is one of the issues

Super Contributor

I am on metoprolol for pacs ( heart palms ) also.. how have you been doing? They are not sure of the cause. 

Trusted Contributor

Hey there chrystaltree. I like that name. Yeah, when I originally gianed the first 20 pounds I was only eating about 800 calories a day , no donuts, no fried foods and the still went up. The weight gain did not  occur until I started the metoprolol. I have multiple medical problemms so anyway, It is something can happen to people and most doctors do not seem to want to fess up to it. Wish you the best on your situation. By the way, back a few years ago I was so proud that wear red for women came about to help educate folks that heart disease is the number one killer of women. A lot of women do not get accrate dignosis and treatment because a lot of doctors do not recognize it. I wonder if any women on these boards experienced anything like that. It would be intersting to know. Have a great day.

Super Contributor

I gained a little weight after starting a beta blocker. One of the reasons is that it can make you tired, especially in higher doses.  It can slow you down, and cause you to perhaps be less active. 

I don't think it's a common side effect, but it can happen. Everyone is different. 

Respected Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Anybody here taking metoprolol, toprol or any other beta blocker. I am interested to know did you experience weight gain and if so was it a lot.  Thanks, the info would be helpful.

I have taking metoprolol for quite some time with no problems.  No weight gain from meds, just from what I eat.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Metoprolol and toprol are the same thing.  Metoprolol is the generic of toprol.  And YES, they make you gain weight.  Beta  blockers block the effect of epinephrine on your body which blocks your metabolism.  Those who are sensitive to this will definitely gain weight.