Esteemed Contributor

Re: metoprolol, toprol or other beta blockers

I take metoprolol -gained some at first. maybe that's why the doctor said to take half in the morning, half at night.

Honored Contributor

I take Metoprolol too for an arrhythmia and no weight gain, in fact I have lost weight. I only take a small dose twice a day though because I don't have high blood pressure.

Trusted Contributor

Hello there Aprildreams, thanks for posting.  Yes actually i did know metoprolol and toprol are the same drug but I did not know if all the posters would realize that. But thanks for your input, if you read these posts there is a lot of folks that say no issue with weight  gain and some have. Unfortunatley I am one of those that had a very large amount of weight  gain. Thanks for posting. I read articles on beta blockers that plainly state this can be a problem for some people, but some doctors do not want to accept it or try to find a different medication. Been on it since 2013.  

Honored Contributor

I took metoprolol when I had HBP years ago. I did not gain weight from it. I exercise now plus eat better & lost weight so no longer take HBP medication.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Anybody here taking metoprolol, toprol or any other beta blocker. I am interested to know did you experience weight gain and if so was it a lot.  Thanks, the info would be helpful.

@webbgarner1

Was on Lopressor(Metoprolol) from 2003 through part of 2017 after my 1st heart attack on July 5, 2003. Have never had high blood pressure, but my Cardiologist wanted me to keep my BP as low as possible, while still being to function at my high activity level.

Only problem(not really a problem) was at 50mg per day my BP was way too low, and thus was reduced to 25mg, with 12.5mg twice per day. No weight gain, just an occasional drop in BP when going from sitting to standing. This was very rare and more of an annoyance than a problem to me.

Saw many heart patients during my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes that had all kinds of problems with their beta blockers and/or their statin prescriptions. They changed many times before they found the rightnone for them.

Was really happy to get off of Metoprolol because I have wanted to buy a Teeter Inversion Table for years. As soon as I was taken off this prescription I waited for an hsn "sale" of the Teeter top-of-the-line machine and ordered it. Love that machine and use it every day.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Anybody here taking metoprolol, toprol or any other beta blocker. I am interested to know did you experience weight gain and if so was it a lot.  Thanks, the info would be helpful.

@webbgarner1

I take Metoprolol twice a day, once in the morning, once at night.  No weight gain, no problems that I am aware of.

Super Contributor

Can beta blockers cause weight gain?Answers from Sheldon G. Sheps, M.D.

Yes. Weight gain can occur as a side effect of some beta blockers, especially the older ones, such as atenolol (Tenormin) and metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL).

Super Contributor

I have taken Metoprolol for about 15 years with no weight again.  I take it for heart palpatations I started having after going from hypothroid into a thryoid storm and went to hyperthyroid for a short time.  It still left me with the palpations though, so I take it to help with those.