Valued Contributor

Re: metoprolol, toprol or other beta blockers

I've been on a heavy dose of Toprol (150mg) for many years--didn't have any weight gain from it. Was prescribed it for PAC's--premature atrial contractions of my heart--not dangerous, just annoying---Toprol stopped the problem. I never heard of a drug like this one causing weight gain in anyone I know who takes it.

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Anybody here taking metoprolol, toprol or any other beta blocker. I am interested to know did you experience weight gain and if so was it a lot.  Thanks, the info would be helpful.

Yes, I did experience weight gain. It slowed my metabolism. I weighed 118 before taking it and gained 22 pounds since first being prescribed it for a heart attack June of 2016. I am 5'8. No matter what I do, I have not been able to lose the weight. Frustrating because I needed an entirely new wardrobe...

Honored Contributor

I've been taking metoprolol for a fast heart rate for a couple years. No weight gain. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks trinty, that has been my experience as well. Rapid large amount of weight  gain. It does slow  ypor heart rate but can slow your metabvolism as well. I have had heart problems for many years, but did not experience this weight gain until I was put on metoprolol. I gained the first 15 punds in about 3 weeks, I promise you I did not gorge myself on food. I was so worried about it , I was only eating about 800 calories a day, but still gained a lot of weight and can not loose it. Thanks again for your reply.

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Thanks trinty, that has been my experience as well. Rapid large amount of weight  gain. It does slow  ypor heart rate but can slow your metabvolism as well. I have had heart problems for many years, but did not experience this weight gain until I was put on metoprolol. I gained the first 15 punds in about 3 weeks, I promise you I did not gorge myself on food. I was so worried about it , I was only eating about 800 calories a day, but still gained a lot of weight and can not loose it. Thanks again for your reply.

@webbgarner1 Yes!! I went down to 1000 calories a day and also continued to gain. Unfortunately, I need lopressor to take the strain off my damaged heart. I have had the flu and not eating much of anything but no weight loss. It boggles my mind.

Trusted Contributor

Oh so sorry you have had the flu, I hope you will soon be over it. 

I know   the frustration you feel about the weight. I was put on metoprolol in 2013, it started out I think as either 25 or 50 mg, now I am up to 100 mg. 

I orginally had heart surgery in 2002.

I hope one day  you and I will fing a better solution.

Valued Contributor

es , I gained about 30 lbs and also have slow thyroid , Not happy about it!

cathy from ma

Contributor

I've been taking Metoprolol for 20 years and no weight gain from it.

Honored Contributor

I have been taking Toprol ER for last 16 years, no side effects at all.

Honored Contributor

Of course, this a question for your cardiologist but I do know that Atenolol, which is a beta blocker can cause weight gain.  However, not 20 or 30lbs.  That's the donuts and fried chicken not the medication.  I take Atenolol and when my weight loss slowed, I did the Google thing and thought it might be the Atenolol.  My cardiologists and my endocrinologist said that the average weight gain for those who had that side effect was 3-4lbs for new users. and for those on weight loss diets, Atenolol has no affect.