Honored Contributor

metfomin and stomach upsets

[ Edited ]

My Dr wants me to go on 1/2 the dose of Metfomin, I am now taking. She feels it might stop my stomach issues

Metformin work,s by stopping the absorbtion of carbs, and this causes a lot of gas. I am feeling a bit better today

I am going to try it for a few weeks, and see if it  gets rid of my problems

Honored Contributor

Re: metfomin and stomach upsets

@cherry wrote:

My Dr wants me to go on 1/2 the dose of Metfomin, I am now taking. She feels it might stop my stomach issues

Metformin work,s by stopping the absorbtion of carbs, and this causes a lot of gas. I am feeling a bit better today

I am going to try it for a few weeks, and see if it  gets rid of my problems

@cherry... I was also told to reduce the amount I was taking to 500 ER twice a day for insulin resistance. I take numerous meds like Plavix that upset my stomach. The Metformin was making it worse.

Glad to read that you are feeling better. I was checking out some of the disadvantages of metformin. It seems there are quite a few issues with B12.

Honored Contributor

Metformin also comes in a 24 hour extended release form which should help your stomach issues. Instead of all dissolving at once in your stomach it dissolves slowly over 24 hours.

Honored Contributor

Metformin Use Linked to Increased Dementia, Parkinson's Risk in Patients With Diabetes. VIENNA, Austria — Long-term use of the diabetes medication metformin may increase the risk for neurodegenerative disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), new research suggests.Mar 30, 2017

@cherry...maybe it is good that our dosages have been decreased...
Honored Contributor

There are @Trinity11  I have been getting B12 shots for months, and also had to take massive amounts of Vit D...the PPI I am taking, also stops you from getting sufficent B12 and D

I don't know what my numbers will be like ,on a lighter dose ,but I have to try to  take less, to see if it helps

Honored Contributor

@151949  my insurance won't pay for ER ,and I have heard it is expensive

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:
Metformin Use Linked to Increased Dementia, Parkinson's Risk in Patients With Diabetes. VIENNA, Austria — Long-term use of the diabetes medication metformin may increase the risk for neurodegenerative disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), new research suggests.Mar 30, 2017

Only one study - and in HIGH DOSES over a long period of use.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@151949  my insurance won't pay for ER ,and I have heard it is expensive

It is so expensive that Publix gives it to me for free. I would ask at your pharmacy. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Only one study - and in HIGH DOSES over a long period of use.

I hope so !! I read that it extends life and my cardiologist told me that patients that take metformin do well after a heart attack in his practice. Anecdotal but I was happy to hear it.

Honored Contributor

Metformin is like most drugs, it has pluses and minuses...it seems like most meds are a double edged sword

I really noticed that I am taking less meds to calm my stomach today, I don't know if it will last, but it is worth a try