Honored Contributor

Re: metfomin and stomach upsets

I can believe it @Trinity11. I feel so much better than I did. It's not gone yet ,but I have taken this stuff for 5 years, so, I might need a few days to  get back to normal, completely

I might have to put up with higher numbers  ,but, as long as I feel ok ,and I am healthy t,hat is a blessing to me

Honored Contributor

@cherry,

You always have the option of insulin.   I would much rather take my one shot of insulin a day than deal with Metformin, which my body does not like in any dosage.   I do not understand why the majority of people are so against insulin injections.   

Honored Contributor

I would rather not deal with a shot unless I have to @RedTop.  I am feeling better today ,and I have a suspicion that the metformin has been giving me trouble for a long time. My gastritis is chronic

You can have it without symptoms.  Insulin  can cause weight gain in some people, so I will just see what happens

Insulin is very expensive now, and I have a link to the ADA that has an online petition pleading, for congress to make it affordable for everyone. I hope some of you might consider signing it

I am lucky, I have insurance, and medicare ,many people do not

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@cherry,

You always have the option of insulin.   I would much rather take my one shot of insulin a day than deal with Metformin, which my body does not like in any dosage.   I do not understand why the majority of people are so against insulin injections.   

@RedTop most people need more than basal insulin. I have been taking insulin for nearly 50 years (type 1) generally 5 times a day now. It is awful and I hate it. I have bruises from it and it often hurts. I have to eat on schedule and have highs and lows. I end up in the ER too. Once someone served me Coke and I thought it was Diet Coke. My blood sugar went soaring above 600 and I passed out. I deal with lows constantly and need to always have sugar near me. 

Watch Dr Fung and his views on insulin and Type 2 diabetics. It causes weight gain and worsens Type 2. 

Stay away from it @cherry. Studies claim perfect A1C patients actually don't live as long as those with slightly higher A1C's.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@151949  my insurance won't pay for ER ,and I have heard it is expensive

@cherry

They make a 500mg form of the ER.  The doctor can prescribe as many of these as you need.  Mine wouldn't pay for the 1000mg ER, but they did pay for the 500mg ER.  Go figure!

Ask your pharmacist.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 @cherry @Trinity11  My physician contacted the insurance company; not my pharmacist. My insurance company approved the Metformin ER . . . and yes, I do take it in seperate doses of 500 mg. each; not in 1,000 mg. tablets any longer. I'm still taking the same amount each morning and evening without the horrible side effects which plagued me for several years when on Metformin. This way of taking Metformin ER has worked for me (and is paid by my insurance) for three years, I believe. The ER is a completely different composition and WORKS so well. My life was turned completely around for the first time in years. What I thought was a combination of health issues, was simply problems with Metformin. Dang . . . could have resolved the problems years earlier if I had changed physicians sooner. I love my current PCP!!! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH tried for a couple of years taking Metformin and it just didn't work for him.  Everytime he would complain the doctor kept telling him his stomach would adjust.  It wasn't and he finally told the doctor he was done.  

My poor husband had such issues from that, he could barely leave the house.  We could never eat out or if we did, we had to come right home afterwards.     

My husband was on the extended release formula and it still just didn't agree with him.  It wasn't expensive at all.  He was getting it for free at one point through our grocery store. Then they stopped that program and we had to pay but it was still the lowest tier of his prescription coverage through insurance. 

Honored Contributor

I called my DR.s office, and am going on ER today. The told me to start with 1  tablet and see how it goes. They allowed me to take 4  a day of 500 ER

If it works our ok I won't take  more than 2 a day..Thank you thank you ...thank you...I hope this puts an end to my problems

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I called my DR.s office, and am going on ER today. The told me to start with 1  tablet and see how it goes. They allowed me to take 4  a day of 500 ER

If it works our ok I won't take  more than 2 a day..Thank you thank you ...thank you...I hope this puts an end to my problems

@cherry, at the 2000mg ER dosage, I had a lot of difficulty. The 500 mg ER 2 times a day really helped. I wasn't up at 3 in the morning the entire week since I was put on the lower dosage.

Good luck with everything..

Honored Contributor

I hd a better night and morning, today. This is my first full  day of ER. I had 1/2 reg metformin, yesterday, while waiting for my scrip. So far, the lower dose hasn't put me over the blood sugar limit ,so I think I am good to go

When you have diabetes it is always something, like juggling everything, and trying to keep all the balls in the air