Honored Contributor

medicare and one pair of glasses after cataract surgery

Can you tell me how much Medicare covered for  your glasses if you needed them after cataract surgery?

Valued Contributor

Re: medicare and one pair of glasses after cataract surgery

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

As much as you are not going to like this...I would expect NOTHING!!

Just as they will probably not pay a dime toward my night tinted glasses due to the halos and starbursts I have.  Medicare just doesn't cover glasses.  I wish we had better eye care insurance!!

Good luck though!!  (As long as you aren't picky, go to Walmart...they have frames for like $19.95...and you can get a complete pair for about $60)  (See my new reply above)

Honored Contributor

They didn’t cover anything for my husband’s new glasses after cataract surgery. We paid out of pocket, because the timing wasn’t right for our vision insurance to pay. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

I thought you were allotted $100 after cataract surgery for glasses or contacts. 

Honored Contributor

Medicare doesn't pay for eyeglasses, even after cararact surgery.  That's why my sister bought hers from Wamart after her cataract surgery last year.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

Can you tell me how much Medicare covered for  your glasses if you needed them after cataract surgery?

@SeaMaiden  It is my understanding that Part B will cover a pair of glasses after cataract surgery.    You need to use a Medicare provider.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/eyeglasses-contact-lenses.html

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Good news!  I looked it up...looks like they do!!  They pay for one pair after cataract surgery.  Standard frames and you pay 20% of the approved cost.  Since I have to have the night glasses...I guess that will apply to me also, since he wrote a prescription into them.  We shall see!!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaidenMedicare paid for a good portion of my new frames and lenses following my cataract surgery in 2016. Sorry, I do not remember the exact percentage and the dollar amount I paid would not help figure it out. Best wishes on your surgery and enjoy the bright colors of spring! The world is so colorful. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

It has been over a year since I submitted my paperwork for glasses and have not received anything--no money nor a letter stating that they would not pay.  Anyone who did,  please tell me how you got yours.  TIA

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirlMy paperwork for frames and lenses was submitted by both the Surgeon and the Optomotist. I probably signed my name to it, but didn't fill anything out per se. They took care of everything submitted to Medicare at the time. Talk with your health care providers. They both must be an approved provider to quality for this payment.

Money screams; wealth whispers.