Honored Contributor

Re: medicare and one pair of glasses after cataract surgery

@highmaintenancejanwrote:

@SeaMaiden

From what I can see....they don't have the coating I need.  Bummer!!!

@highmaintenancejan.  Do some searches  and check out other online sites that sell glasses. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaidenwrote:

@highmaintenancejan    So this is what I am trying.... tell me what you think!

I went ahead and ordered a pair of glasses on line  at  Goggles for you eyewear super store. 

I just picked out a frame I liked( I know what I like from years of wearing glasses...) and put in the prescription that my eye doctor gave me( easy!)  The total with shipping came to  less than $60.00. I ordered progressive lense  so the price is higher than if you order  just plain lense.   Yours would be much less I  am sure as you would not want a progressive lense....  Probably $30 or less!

I will let you know how they turn out when I get them... I figured If I orderd them from a place here with my insurance I always end up paying over $100 with insurance  one way or the other.... For $50 something dollars buying these online if they are fine, it is a good deal as they are not to really make my vision BETTER... just will sharpen up my 20/20  a bit.  

I will be intouch when they come! ( Oh and they have an excellent return policy if for any reason you are unhappy with them)  ~SeaMaiden~

@SeaMaiden

Please report back when you get your progressives.  I need to have my glasses/lenses replaced due to cataract surgery.  While my distance vision is good enough to go without glasses, the constant taking on & off of readers prompted me to request a prescription when my final eye exam was done after surgery.

I too want progressives as that is what I wore prior to cataract surgery.  There will be a very minimal prescription for distance as I see 20/25 or 20/30 in both eyes now.  My concern is how an online company can determine where the line of progression is to start without measuring the patient.

Perhaps I should just call the company and they can explain that to me.

But if you have the answer, please let me know.  Many thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Alleghenywrote:

@SeaMaidenwrote:

I went ahead and ordered a pair of glasses on line  at  Goggles for you eyewear super store. 

I just picked out a frame I liked( I know what I like from years of wearing glasses...) and put in the prescription that my eye doctor gave me( easy!)  The total with shipping came to  less than $60.00. I ordered progressive lense  so the price is higher than if you order  just plain lense.   Yours would be much less I  am sure as you would not want a progressive lense....  Probably $30 or less!

I will let you know how they turn out when I get them... I figured If I orderd them from a place here with my insurance I always end up paying over $100 with insurance  one way or the other.... For $50 something dollars buying these online if they are fine, it is a good deal as they are not to really make my vision BETTER... just will sharpen up my 20/20  a bit.  

I will be intouch when they come! ( Oh and they have an excellent return policy if for any reason you are unhappy with them)  ~SeaMaiden~

@SeaMaiden

Please report back when you get your progressives.  I need to have my glasses/lenses replaced due to cataract surgery.  While my distance vision is good enough to go without glasses, the constant taking on & off of readers prompted me to request a prescription when my final eye exam was done after surgery.

I too want progressives as that is what I wore prior to cataract surgery.  There will be a very minimal prescription for distance as I see 20/25 or 20/30 in both eyes now.  My concern is how an online company can determine where the line of progression is to start without measuring the patient.

@Allegheny  Good Morning! 

You ask a good question... they do ask for your PD.. which stands for Pupil Distance, and they show you how to take this  measurement( very easy).  I believe that is how they figure out the progressive lense line. Here is a good explaination on a different sight, but the sight I  ordered glasses from explained it also.

https://optical.cvs.com/content/2095/What-Is-Pupillary-Distance

I will let you know how my glasses turn out.  You and I have the exact same issues with our after surgery eyes!  I have the same issues with readers.  I see 20/20 distance now  having had the Toric lens put in my eyes( wonderful!) but because of my astimatism, I have horrible close up and need readers around my neck 24 hours a day for anything close up..

My prescription is like yours.. one eye is just a bit off from as good as the other... enough to give me a prescripition. But I see really well distance anyway....  I just thought I would try these glasses as the price is so much better than even  with medicare or insurance cost wise..  and see how I like having glasses for both close and distance.  I would only wear them when watching TV and being on the ipad etc....  Who knows, maybe I just will never wear them!  At least I am only out $60.

I will update when I get them.  It will be at least another week or so.  ~SeaMaiden~

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Thank you for replying and the information.  I should have remembered this from the past when getting new glasses.

My distance vision sometimes fluctuates, sometimes 20-20, sometimes a little less.  My reading distance isn't all that bad.  I can still work on my computer, see my car's dashboard.  Just smaller print like newspapers and info listed on back of labels.  

I had to get standard lens due to two previous procedures in the past (radial keratotomy and lasik).  My opthamologist did an excellent job at selecting the proper lens prescription.  I am beyond pleased with the results considering the other procedures could have been hampering.  I even feel more comfortable driving after dark now.

Again thanks, looking forward to hearing from you again.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Did you check on Medicare, because the girl at the eye place told me they pay if your prescription is greater than a .25 correction. ???  Maybe they don't pay enough????

Esteemed Contributor

Medicare will pay for one pair of eyeglasses following cataract surgery if you use one of their accredited optical shops -- which are listed on the Medicare website (there were 4 just in my neighborhood).  You can call Medicare for all the details.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Alleghenywrote:

@SeaMaidenwrote:

@SeaMaiden

@Allegheny  Good Morning! 

You ask a good question... they do ask for your PD.. which stands for Pupil Distance, and they show you how to take this  measurement( very easy).  I believe that is how they figure out the progressive lense line. Here is a good explaination on a different sight, but the sight I  ordered glasses from explained it also.

https://optical.cvs.com/content/2095/What-Is-Pupillary-Distance

I will let you know how my glasses turn out.  You and I have the exact same issues with our after surgery eyes!  I have the same issues with readers.  I see 20/20 distance now  having had the Toric lens put in my eyes( wonderful!) but because of my astimatism, I have horrible close up and need readers around my neck 24 hours a day for anything close up..

My prescription is like yours.. one eye is just a bit off from as good as the other... enough to give me a prescripition. But I see really well distance anyway....  I just thought I would try these glasses as the price is so much better than even  with medicare or insurance cost wise..  and see how I like having glasses for both close and distance.  I would only wear them when watching TV and being on the ipad etc....  Who knows, maybe I just will never wear them!  At least I am only out $60.

I will update when I get them.  It will be at least another week or so.  ~SeaMaiden~

@SeaMaiden  I was wondering if you got your glasses and if you are happy with them.  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

For last 15 years I have gotten all my glasses from Zennioptical (approximately $100 including frames and progressive lenses) and that's where I'll order my readers when my second eye is done and stabilizes.  You can either measure your PD yourself or ask for it where you get your eyes examined.  Can you imagine how much money I've saved over 15 years getting my glasses online?

Honored Contributor

Did you know you can have lens implants when you have the surgery so you don't need to wear glasses at all? The draw back is you have to pay for it yourself and it's pricey. The eye doctor mentioned that to my husband who is having cataract surgery next month. 

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99: While there are expensive options other than what's free thru medicare, they weren't suitable for my eyes.  I did opt for a test during surgery that looks into your eyeball after they remove the lens ($430 per eye out of pocket).  With this test they were able to find tune my new lens to get best possible match (it worked on eye I have already had done) but the reason I got it is they check closely for any sign of the disease (my Dad was blinded by macular degeneration).