Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: medicare and one pair of glasses after cataract surgery

@BirkiLady, thanks for the info.  I submitted the paperwork as my eye doctor had never been asked to do that before.  I think that I will call Medicare and see if they can advise and I will also check with my surgeon.  Thanks again!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Occasional Contributor

I had my cataracts removed in November 2017 and Medicare paid $200 towards my new reading glasses.   Check with your eye doctor.  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirlAlso, check with whomever provided your frames and lenses. They also have to be an approved provider. Have a feeling that may be the problem. If you are getting your frames and lenses from a true professional (i.e. education in the field), he/she is probably approved. Many of those places are simply on-the-job trained . . . and probably not approved.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady, thanks for the info.  My eye doctor is considered the best in our state and is the one that special cases, like me, are sent to.  My surgeon is also considered the best, but I did not think to go to his office for the paperwork.  I will make it a point to stop in there once our weather gets better.  We have another storm predicted this week.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Traditional Medicare pays for one pair of glasses or contact lenses after cataract surgery, subject to your Medicare Part B deductible and 20% copayment.  If you have a Medicare supplement, your deductible and copayment might pick up what Medicare didn’t pay. It depends on what supplement you have.

The bad news is that you must get those glasses or contact lenses from a provider who is enrolled in and excepts Medicare.  They will submit the claim for you.  You do not submit your own Medicare claims. Sometimes a Medicare Provider who dispenses glasses is as rare as a hen with teeth.

Honored Contributor

ThankYou all  for your input! I will look into it more. 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx for the heads up about Medicare paying (anything towards)glasses after cataract surgery.  I start the surgery process this Thursday.

Honored Contributor

I think they paid 100% for my DH's glasses after his cataract surgeries were done. We have an advantage plan.

Honored Contributor

Did anyone get their glasses after surgery at costco and use their medicare? Just curious as I am going to Costco today.  Wondered if Costco was a medicare provider.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Went to see about my glasses today...guess what?  You have to have a correction of at least 50 ...which I'm sure you do for Medicare to pay.  Mine are only -25...(of course).   They quoted me $382 which is ridiculous.  I'll go to Walmart and get them for under $100.