Honored Contributor

Re: masks for all the flus, and infections

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know how much those masks help.  Probably some. But as written -- the eyes are   also where contaminants can happen.  I have worn masks in the past and found them difficult to wear for very long.  

Doctors,dentists and nurses wear the masks so they must be of some help.My friends cousin who is a nurse must wear one during the whole flu season as she refused to get a flu shot.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

N95 Respirator Masks are the most effective from what I have read.  We have some.

CVS, Walgreens, Target sell them.  We bought ours online some years back.

I guess anything is better than nothing; I think people just feel safer with them so no harm done.

Hand washing is still my priority; I wash my hands when I come home, I wash them before and after putting away groceries.  I also wipe down remotes and especially my cell phone.

I'm a tad like Monk; not as intense but more skeeved out than most.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw a woman wearing a mask this morning at Walmart. She was standing right behind me and I couldn't help but notice how much fiddling and fussing around she was doing with that mask. She kept touching her face and eyes the whole time I was there. SMH!

ETA - Forgot to mention that this woman was carrying on, hands flailing , sort of causing a scene and saying people are dropping like flies from some virus all over the world and she wasn't going to be one of them.  Really?? Where do people get that kind of information?? Smiley Indifferent I just couldn't get out the door fast enough.

Honored Contributor

For those interested:

N95 that fits tightly/snugly on your face is what you want. That said, this number is used for masks that are designed to filter very small particles (fiberglass, oil based paint fumes, etc). The surgical mask you're looking for is made by Curad and is their anti-viral facemask. Understand that you must toss it once you've worn it outside. So far, they're sold out online everywhere I've checked. 

I know 2 people (husband and wife team) who work in this field (biologists) at a place in my state where germ warfare is researched and dealt with very carefully. THEY suggest the following:

*p95 or 99 filter. Sized as a half mask with a seal. They need to have round filters that are switched out after being in the public. 

Military training has my husband and I decided that if we see these while out and about, we'll pick them up but using a scarf is akin to using any other type of mask (and free). Hand washing with soap and hot water (not the anti-bacterial soap but plain soap) before eating and after coming in from the outside is the norm. Don't touch your face EVER UNTIL you wash your hands. Wipe down anything you touch in your house such as doorknobs, light switches, water faucet, fridge and freezer handles, microwave handle and keypad, keys, phone, steering wheel, etc. Follow the same protocol you would for the flu (which has killed more and is considered more dangerous in the US as of now). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

....but yet no one even had a care about the current Flu/Pneumonia 

contamination/deaths this season. 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

The CDC website lists the masks with ID numbers and manufacturers.

We bought our masks a few years ago based on the CDC recommendations.

Never used them, hope we never have to do so.

I don't think it is a bad idea to have some items on hand; it isn't panic, it's just precaution. 

I do see people here and there throughout the whole year with masks-not many, but a few once in a while.

My MIL's parents lost all 4 of their children due to the 1918 influenza.

Her parents had another 3 children after, my MIL being one of them.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@goldensrbest   It seems very few in this country wear masks. Those of more Asian decent (I'll say) wear masks all the time. It seems to be very 'natural' for them.

This new scare is very scary to me.

@PINKdogWOOD 

i was just thinking that i rarely see anyone wearing masks out and about OR even in a doctors offce.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@dex  75%

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 , we are wearing - here. 

If not read, we lived a short time in China, so it's almost 99.9% most do wear one, even for colds. I have no problem doing so, either. I will not be traveling until much later, if then. 

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know how much those masks help.  Probably some. But as written -- the eyes are   also where contaminants can happen.  I have worn masks in the past and found them difficult to wear for very long.  

Doctors,dentists and nurses wear the masks so they must be of some help.My friends cousin who is a nurse must wear one during the whole flu season as she refused to get a flu shot.

@dex 

Maybe you do get used to them after having to wear them for long periods.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin