Honored Contributor

Re: masks for all the flus, and infections

Remember, too, that many pathogens can enter your body through your eyes. Don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth.

Honored Contributor

If things get so bad we need to start wearing surgical masks when out in public, I’ll be staying home!   

In the meantime, I do what I always do this time of year:  avoid stores and people as much as possible, wash my hands after handling the mail and after opening anything I’ve ordered.   I use a q-tip to put neosporin or bacitracin around my nostrils when going out in public, use peroxide on my toothbrush before and after brushing, and swish my mouth with peroxide solution.   We use a tremendous amount of liquid soap in this house, Wet Ones wipes and alcohol wipes are always in my car, light switches and doorknobs are wiped down every other day, along with the handle on the mailbox.

Honored Contributor

I think masks are great.  If you own a wig, you can go out without a stitch of make-up or even combing your hair.  If you're going to Walmart, you don't even have to get out of your pajamas.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think masks are great.  If you own a wig, you can go out without a stitch of make-up or even combing your hair.  If you're going to Walmart, you don't even have to get out of your pajamas.

REAL CUTE!! Glad some think this is funny.NOT!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest 

I agree........ didn't quite see any relevant humor in that post, either.

Honored Contributor

A pharmacist friend of mine that has battled cancer gave me one of her masks.  It has a square thingy in the middle that makes it much easier to breathe.  I wore it this week when going to the heart doctor for a pacemaker check as I was just getting over a nasty case of bronchitis.  It has two bands that go around your head and neck, not around your ears.  She probably got them from Amazon.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I noticed two Asian women wearing masks in my local grocery store.  I am considering buying some myself as I worry this will become a pandemic. I do not trust our Government to provide us with accurate details until it is too late. I am old enough to remember the AIDS crisis.

Respected Contributor

Asian people wearing masks were a common sight in the Wash DC area where I spent most of my life, and I still see them since moving very far south of Northern VA three years ago.

Foreigners must be  onto these viruses sooner and more seriously than the rest of us, and they seem to have been for a long time.

I also was given a mask to wear during a routine visit to a doctor's office a few weeks ago---only because I mentioned I'd had a lot of soreness from a flu shot and felt a little weird after the shot.

Go figure that apparent over-reaction out!!  (I removed the annoying mask as soon as the nurse left the examining room.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As of Jan 24th there is only one test for the CV virus and it's done at the CDC lab in Atlanta. So it could take some time to confirm any new cases as they happen. At present it is still not clear how the virus is contracted. All the CDC knows for sure is that it is transmitted from person to person and not from any animals to humans. The CDC does not know how sustainable this virus is as it travels from person to person. They also do not know how viable the virus is on surfaces after being in contact with an infected person. 

Let's hope the virus is evolving in a direction where it is weakening and becoming less virulent and not so harmful.

Respected Contributor

Amazon is where I ordered a box of disposable Flu Face Masks for a cost of 6.99 for 50.