Honored Contributor

masks for all the flus, and infections

@ SILLEEMEE, sorry to bother you ,but what do you think ,and what kind ,should we be buying mask with all this nasty infections going around?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

Re: masks for all the flus, and infections

I use them in the winter when there's so many viruses going around. But I am a lymphoma patient and have a weakened immune system.
The mask blocks 85% of airborn germs. It's a total block if you are careful to put it on and don't put your hands under it to scratch your face etc.

My dr recomments them for anyone who is older and thus has a weakened immune system. I buy packs of them at the drug store. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

New York Times reports masks to block the coronavirus may or may not be effective.

Anyone with access to the NYT can probably see this story in its entirety.  It appears in today's Atlanta paper but the story is syndicated and can't be reproduced.

Basically, the story says Chinese authorities have encouraged people to wear surgical masks.  The question is, do they work?

The cheap disposables might work if used correctly and consistently but there  isn't much scientific  evidence on effectiveness outside of medical settings.

The chairwoman of the public health committee for the Infectious Diseases Society of America said "we worry about people feeling they're getting more protection than they really are."

Washing hands and avoiding ill people are more important than a mask.

Because surgical masks aren't fitted or sealed, they leave gaps, so they don't filter all the air coming in.  Masks will block most large respiratory droplets from other people.

The bigger problem is that people don't use them properly, authorities say.

People will put their hand underneath the mask to touch their face or nose, or take them off to talk on the phone.

Honored Contributor

I just read a news article that a Dr. in Wuhan, China contracted this virus through his eyes, he wore a face mask, but not protective eye goggles when treating a patient.

Maybe a hazmat suit would be best.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I just read a news article that a Dr. in Wuhan, China contracted this virus through his eyes, he wore a face mask, but not protective eye goggles when treating a patient.

Maybe a hazmat suit would be best.

For a doctor I would think so.For the rest of us who won’t be working with the sick a mask could help.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   It seems very few in this country wear masks. Those of more Asian decent (I'll say) wear masks all the time. It seems to be very 'natural' for them.

This new scare is very scary to me.

Respected Contributor

The light, non structured masks purchased at drug stores, will offer some protection. But for in hospital isolation, these were done away with, for more virulent cases, many years ago.

If used, use them for one outing, then discard. Never reuse them.  This might be why they say the masks might not be helping with the coronavirus.  They may  be reusing them, don't apply correctly, or they just don't have a decent seal for such a contagion. Remember, no matter how careful we are, even health care providers can fall victim. 

Now there's a face fitting, more occlusive mask, that can be tweaked to seal well enough, that when tested (annually for proper application) you can't smell even the most obnoxious fumes, with your head enclosed in a plastic dome.

The problem is, that you can't wear them very long, particularly if exerting, because you feel your breathing is obstructed, too.  I hated them. They feel suffocating, but offer optimal protection.

For average protection, I'd go for the lighter masks, but also remember never to touch your face, without cleansing hands.  We don't realize how many times a day we touch our face.  And, I always carry small containers of hand sanitizer when I can't get to soap and water. If compromised, I'd avoid crowds and, for me, I don't eat out during cold and flu season -- and never from buffet style places.  Cautious mindfulness is the best protection.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@goldensrbest   It seems very few in this country wear masks. Those of more Asian decent (I'll say) wear masks all the time. It seems to be very 'natural' for them.

This new scare is very scary to me.

@PINKdogWOOD 

During flu season I wear one in any Dr.'s office/medical facility, mainly to protect DH who has an auto-immune disease.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Do surgical masks protect against coronavirus?

"Surgical masks will not prevent your acquiring diseases,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University, and the medical director of the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases.

Rather, he explained, surgical masks are typically used by surgeons to protect their patients from their mouth-borne germs, but “those masks don't work to prevent inhaling diseases,” said Schaffner.

The masks, which cover the nose and mouth, are often made from a flimsy material and aren’t fitted to the face. In other words, spaces and gaps can form around the cheeks and edges of the mouth, making it easy for air to move in and out. “When coughing, you can feel the puffs of air coming out of the mask,” he said.

That said, the (CDC) is currently recommending anyone infected with the novel coronavirus or being tested for it to wear a surgical mask when in public. And one infectious disease physician said, the masks could block “large respiratory droplets” from entering your body when an infected person sneezes or coughs. These large droplets are largely behind the spread of coronaviruses, the physician said.

A more protective mask, known as an N-95 respirator, may be more effective, said Schaffner.  But, he noted, a non-medical professional using this mask is likely not using it correctly, doing little to prevent the spread of illness or inhaling a disease.

“The chance of the average person going into a pharmacy, wearing them correctly and for long periods of time is unlikely,” he said.

~foxnews

I just checked on Amazon and many N-95 respirator mask are currently unavailable/out of stock.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

A regular surgical mask is adequate. Make sure you put it on correctly and use a new one daily or when it gets wet. There are many youtube vids showing how to put one on correctly...that is very important.