Esteemed Contributor

Re: looking for a brain suppliment

I asked my doctor about this once.  He snickered and told me to save my money.  He said none of the Prevagen-type supplements do anything.  They are all just scams.  Just eat healthy foods and keep your brain active and learning.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I suggest one reads some results of any major study involving a placebo versus a supplement or the "real thing". Those that rely solely on how a person answers questions after an X number of days or weeks study.

Many of those that were given only the "placebo" remarked how much better they were after the study. Hmmm!!  The mind works in many different ways.

I would usually type twice as much, this however should let whomever reads this know my feelings on these types of subjective results based on "how one feels". This as opposed to a blood/urine or a scan where one can actually see and know results. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Looking for a magic pill is not the solution.  Our brains need to be fed and exercised to age well.

How is our diet, weight, sleep, physical excercise, stress, social interactions and intellect/learning?

We know the way, just all that and sun screen.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining 

Bravo! 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I look at brain health as a matter of preserving the brain cells which were given to me. We age and along with that comes the destruction of brain cells as we get older. For some people their brain cells are killed off by alcohol, drugs and other chemicals they might consume in food and from the environment in which they live and work. So if you can eliminate chemicals as much as possible, in whatever they might be, then you might stand a chance of avoiding brain health issues in the future as you get old.

Honored Contributor

Learn to use your phone and computer.  REALLY use them.

That'll keep 'ya busy and that old brain going!  

Trusted Contributor

Funny I saw this post as I just read an article by a group of doctors that said brain supplements do not help at all.  You need to do things that use your brain, learn something new, do puzzles, brain games, exercise, etc. When our brains are constantly working that is what helps keep them sharp. 

Trusted Contributor

I am skeptical of the brain health supplements. 

With the aging of the huge number of Baby Boomers,

there is a lot of money to be made.

Lots of snake oil sales people around.

Honored Contributor

There is some decent research on the benefits of high flavonoids dark cocoa. Some of the research deals with the cognitive benefits. Hershey's was used in a couple of the studies. What permanent effect intake of the cocoa will have is unknown. I don't remember how much you need per day. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

There is some decent research on the benefits of high flavonoids dark cocoa. Some of the research deals with the cognitive benefits. Hershey's was used in a couple of the studies. What permanent effect intake of the cocoa will have is unknown. I don't remember how much you need per day. 

@Mindy D I should be a genius by now, although Ghiradelli 72% is my brain supplement of choice.