Valued Contributor

looking for a brain suppliment

Do any of you have a brain vitamin that you can reaaly see  a big improvement    I dont want to just pick one  Im not really sure they work  

Regular Contributor

Re: looking for a brain suppliment

Speak with your MD. There really is NOT anything. 

Honored Contributor

Check w/ your pharmacist.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Valued Contributor

@mollymaggie  I totally disagree with the poster who says there are NO brain supplements that work. There are in fact very reputable and highly respected neurologists who recommend a wide variety of supplements for brain health and function. Go to Dr. Bredesen's website. He is a pioneer in the use of supplements for the treatment of neurocognitive disorders, like Alzheimer's. He has what is called the Bredesen Protocol, which is a very detailed and strict method for slowing down, halting and even reversing disorders. There are other websites devoted to this particular issue and it is worth your time to explore all the emerging information about the efficacy of a large number of different supplements. Also, check out Dr. Daniel Amen. He is a huge proponent of supplementation specific to brain health. He is considered one of America's leading psychiatrists and brain health experts. He has had several PBS series about this. Good Luck!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This NIH publication discusses some very important info regarding ingredients and the safety of supplements made for brain health. You may want to check it out.

"A Public Health Issue: Dietary Supplements Promoted for Brain Health and Cognitive Performance"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7153641/

From what I have read about brain supps is that their efficacy is not supported by science and many of them are questionable as to what they actually contain. Their ingredients have stuff in them which I never heard of much less know how to pronounce. I would not want to consume something that I know little about or even know where to look for the information about it so that I would feel knowledgeable enough to take it.

Trusted Contributor

Try Blueberries. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dr. Bredesen is not reputable. Read this link about him on UCSF website. 

Well, can't post the link. Google Dr. Bredesen, Pricey Protocol and read the newslink on UCSF's website.

Pricey Protocol Not Proven to Prevent or Reverse Alzheimer’s, Says UCSF Neurologist

Promising Research May Have Been Sullied by Shoddy Science

Honored Contributor

I feel like CoQ10 helps me but I don't know of any particular brain targeted supplement that I could recommend. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I feel like CoQ10 helps me but I don't know of any particular brain targeted supplement that I could recommend. 

@GenXmuse I have been taking CoQ10 for many years and can't say that it has helped my brain, but I will give it credit for getting me out of the periodontist's chair.  Now, my doctor recommends it because I take a statin, but I was taking it long before that.

I know early on the buzz was about cardiac health although studies didn't really bear that out.  However, it could be that improved blood vessel health or flow could positively effect both the gums and the brain.  I know I have heard it said that a dentist can see cardiac problems in the gums of his patient.  I know mine gives me a good looking over including looking for signs of cancer.

Valued Contributor

@Shepherd  It is entirely expected that any doctor who does not follow Big Pharma's edicts will be trashed in public. American drug trials are notoriously tainted by influence of biased trial funding, altered findings, etc. Do your research in papers, trials and studies conducted in Japan, India, UK, France, Italy, China and many more countries and you will see a common list of supplements that are showing remarkable results. China has a drug out now for Alzheimer's that is showing not only slowing of disease development but regression- and its derived from seaweed! Studies are showing that Biogen's highly touted new drug looks less effective in comparison. There are two classes of drugs prescribed for Alzheimer's in this country. Everyone, including doctors, know that neither of them work, and yet they are constantly prescribed by neurologists for what reason? Profit? False hope? To close the door on any possible treatment for neurocognitive disorders seems to be a very effective way to rob people of hope.