Respected Contributor

Re: leg cramps....need some suggestions

@sunshine45  I just ask him and he said about half cup. When we finish a jar of pickles I save the juice.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 , Club Soda works for me.   

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  Maybe she can try Theraworx Relief. It's a product you can buy for leg cramps. It's under 20 bucks and sold almost everywhere. You can google it. It has good reviews. I've never used it but my husband has.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45,

Leg cramps are usually connected to most everything that has been suggested here.  

My own personal experience, as well as that of my mother, has been related to dehydration, low sodium, as well as low Vitamin B12 and D, low magnesium and potassium.   

I urge your mother to address this thru a simple blood test to find the vitamin or mineral she is low in, and go with the doctors suggestions.    Magnesium and potassium supplements should never be taken unless lab results show a deficiency; both of these supplements can do more harm than good.   My mother overdid it with B12 and Zinc.   

The safe suggestions are drinking pickle juice, orange juice and Gatorade and eating more bananas, as well as trying the bar of soap in the bed.   

Valued Contributor

I like to take a warm bath with a handful of Epsom salts - their full of minerals and known for relieve of muscle cramps. I'm not sure if your mom can take a bath though. 

Esteemed Contributor

Leg cramps are caused by low potassium.

Have your mom eat a banana every day.H

Bananas are a lot less expensive than pills, and it's natural.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45  My mother is in her mid 80's and has restless leg syndrome in the evening and was told by a doctor to take one ecotrin tablet every evening.  I believe that she has been doing this for years, and no longer has the problem. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Frequent Contributor

If you are talking about charlie horse have her to immediatly get up and stand by the bed and it goes away.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

Does she have a pair ofBirkenstock shoes? When my legs start to cramp, I put my Birks on and go back to bed. 
This has never EVER failed me.

@violann 

You wear shoes to bed?  🤔

One shoe or both?

Are they Birkenstock shoes or sandals?

Or will any kind of shoe(s) do?

I might want to try wearing shoe(s) to bed.   I occasionally wake up at night with a leg cramp.

~Life is short. Eat well.~

Honored Contributor

All I can say is if I don't eat a banana almost daily I get horrible cramps in my feet, toes and calves.  Of course, your mother must be diagnosed by a doctor to determine what her medical problem is, but I know this simple thing has helped me.  Maybe more hydration would help also??? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin