Valued Contributor

Re: leg cramps....need some suggestions

Drink  a glass of V8 each day. 

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 

thanks for the information.

i know that i take magnesium daily and it works well for me.

very rarely do i get restless legs or cramps or pains.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I used to get leg cramps every night but I use Hyjands homeopathic leg cramps formula I got from amazon and I kid you not, it is a thing of the past. It works so quickly. I didn't think it was possible. 

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 I have restless legs which is a little different but it gets worse for me when my iron is low.  Iron supplements or for me infusions help - the difference for me is being able to get a good nights sleep ... this & the CPAP really helps.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

I checked it out for you m'dear...

No Calcium

No Magnesium

- the ingredient list is on the product page, on Q's site - click on it for expanded view.

Contributor

Get magnesium malate. It has no calcium in it and the malate helps with the cramps. The ones I take are from Amazon and brands are either Source Naturals or Nature's Life and are 1250 and 1300 mg respectively. Don't let that scare you because you only absorb part of the mag you take, which is why it can cause digestive issues. Venastat is a lot cheaper than Andrew Lessman is more effective for me. Also, there are tiny Hylands Leg Cramps pills, they have a PM version too, that you can find at Walmart. I can be snarled up like a pretzel with cramps and they will bring relief in minutes. They make a cream too. Finally, I've found it really helps if I keep my feet and legs warm at night, even in summer. Diabetic knee socks are very soft, not too heavy in summer and fairly cheap. Even a light blanket to my hips helps.

Honored Contributor

Leg cramps often indicate low potassium; which can be dangerous for the heart.  

She might try making sure she's eating foods high in potassium such as bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and beets.

I hesitate advising she take a potassium tablet, but she could ask her doctor if it's safe.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a doctor but potassium shortage is known well for leg cramps.  A banana for two days does it for me.

Occasional Contributor

I agree with you Ko. I too take Andrew Lessman's circulation and vein support and they work wonders.  

Honored Contributor

Does she have a pair ofBirkenstock shoes? When my legs start to cramp, I put my Birks on and go back to bed. 
This has never EVER failed me.