Valued Contributor

I use ' leg cramps ' pills also , they work well !  It also comes in a cream you can massage into your leg .  My cramps are so bad that I wake up screaming !!

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

Hopefully, no one here is taking medical advice from another poster!

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

My method has NEVER FAILED ME ONCE, but you may not be able to talk him into it.

I keep a pair of my MOST COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES beside the bed, and when my legs cramp (knees to toes, for me), I put on my shoes and get back into bed.

The leg cramps go away. I usually fall asleep with those shoes on. 

I don't want to drink stuff or take anything not recommended by my doctor.

For me, MY METHOD NEVER FAILS.

Trusted Contributor

@buckeyegirl1 wrote:

Yellow mustard packets on nightstand.  Super old school but it works, it's cheap and no health conflicts.

Yes, it works! I attended a first aid course for work at our local ambulance corps, they suggested this, and I have tried it and it worked for me.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@gloriajean wrote:

There's a medicine that my husband has to take for his heart and it causes severe leg cramps. So he quit taking it for awhile, and he's noticing he's not feeling as good without it, so he will go back on it, and take some tonic water for the cramps. Every night he is taking magnesium, The Calm, it's called, and you put 2 tsps. in a cup with warm water, it fizzes, then after it's done fizzing more warm water and drink. That medicine is stronger and still gives bad cramps.  Sure do hope the tonic water works, because he realizes he needs that medication.  Anyone else know remedies for leg cramps?

@gloriajean 

What medicine is your husband taking for his heart. I assume it has been prescribed by his Cardiologist, no? Don't know if you remember, but I have had 2 heart attacks, 1 in 2003 the 2nd in 2007.

Have been to 72 Cardiac Rehabilitation Classes, 36 for each heart attack. Met well over 100 different heart patients in those classes. And since I am always willing to strike up a conversation, who me?

Don't want to get into a conversation about a prescription medication without knowing it's specific name. If you want to let me know, I can tell you my experiences with Heart Medication Prescriptions, and many other heart patients I have met also. If not, that is fine.

hckynut  🇺🇸

John, Yes, of course I want you to tell me your experiences with heart meds and many other heart patients.  The mediLicine he is taking is called Lisinopril, for BP, Water, Heart pill.  In 2020 he had an ablation for AFil, but still needed to have a leaky valve repaired so in March 2021 he had open heart surgery reparing that.  Oh before that he had a pacemaker put in.  He was told to take tonic water for cramps today so he will try that tonight, also he got the okay to use Aleve. He had that last night with no cramps.  He went off that medication after finding out that was the culprit for his cramps, but then he started to get more out of breath and knew he needed it, so back on it again. At the VA Urgent Care he found out also that he has Asthma and a weak heart, congestive heart failure.  He used to be so healthy!!

Waiting to hear about you now.

Esteemed Contributor

To all of you who replied to me, thank you all from the bottom of my heart!!  He goes to the gym 3 times a week, he does stretches, and he does what his cardiolist says.  June 2nd he will have a echo stress test. He now bought tonic water to take, as that was recommended.

We'll see how that works.  Also Cardiologist okayed his taking Aleve, which he did last night and had a peaceful night's sleep without cramps.  He's been on the phone a lot lately with doctor's nurses and now he knows what to do.  Again thank you all for your responses.  And John, post about those experiences you wrote about, I'm waiting.

Honored Contributor

I used to train hard for my Karate classes and I'd have teaching classes at least 3 tmes a week.  I would have leg cramps/charlie horses from the time I stopped to the evening until I started Gatorade (sugar free for me).  I'd drink about 8 - 12 oz before training or teaching and it solved my problem.  

I now have dehydration problems with leg cramps while I sleep and I now do the same thing.  I'll complete a sugar-free gaterade during the afternoon and it seems to really help.  Oh, and I'm diabetic so that;'s the reason for no sugar.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Drink Low Sodium V8 juice, loaded with potassium.