Honored Contributor

@gloriajean   If your husband has not already done so, ask his dr if there are rx and/or over the counter muscle cramp/spasms relaxants he can take w/his heart meds.

Even over the counter meds can cause problems if mixed w/his heart meds.

I take 2 different rx'es for leg muscle spasms along together w/other rx'es I need to take due to my current medical condition-Piriformis Syndrome. 

ALPRAZolam 0.5 mg tablet
Commonly known as: XANAX

I have to take it ONLY at bedtime & at least 4 hrs AFTER I take one of my rx'es.  It knocks me out so it can do its job of "relaxing" my muscles at night so I can get a good nights sleep.

Baclofen 10 mg tablet
Commonly known as: LIORESAL

I take this 3x's a day to control my muscle spasms through out the day.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

My dr does prescribe potassium pills for me....due to another health issue...but having low potassium can cause leg cramps and eating a banana, beans, or baked potatoes all have good amounts of potassium. OP's husband may want to add some of those to his diet and see if they help. 

Trusted Contributor

The dill pickle juice probably is very high in sodium? May not be a good idea for someone with heart issues. 

Trusted Contributor

I think your husband should add potassium rich foods to his diet, ( foods already mentioned by others) before going to more RX, especially over he counter ones, before talking to the doctor to make sure that the over the counter meds does not negatively affect his heart meds.

Hope your DH gets relief and feels better soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

There's a medicine that my husband has to take for his heart and it causes severe leg cramps. So he quit taking it for awhile, and he's noticing he's not feeling as good without it, so he will go back on it, and take some tonic water for the cramps. Every night he is taking magnesium, The Calm, it's called, and you put 2 tsps. in a cup with warm water, it fizzes, then after it's done fizzing more warm water and drink. That medicine is stronger and still gives bad cramps.  Sure do hope the tonic water works, because he realizes he needs that medication.  Anyone else know remedies for leg cramps?

@gloriajean 

What medicine is your husband taking for his heart. I assume it has been prescribed by his Cardiologist, no? Don't know if you remember, but I have had 2 heart attacks, 1 in 2003 the 2nd in 2007.

Have been to 72 Cardiac Rehabilitation Classes, 36 for each heart attack. Met well over 100 different heart patients in those classes. And since I am always willing to strike up a conversation, who me?

Don't want to get into a conversation about a prescription medication without knowing it's specific name. If you want to let me know, I can tell you my experiences with Heart Medication Prescriptions, and many other heart patients I have met also. If not, that is fine.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I use topicals.....either Therworx or Magnesium oil.

Respected Contributor

Re: leg cramps at night

[ Edited ]

Has he tried doing some yoga stretches for the back of the legs? Ex, down dog, or seated reach over the legs? Do it after a hot shower, or a walk so warmed up, several times a day, and don't overdo it, but try to physically stretch those tight muscles). Best wishes.

Respected Contributor

@gloriajean Pickle juice as others have already mentioned and be sure he is not dehydrated from the heat.  Most blood pressure meds rid the body of water and can also increase leg cramps.  Good luck & touch base with the dr or fnp if condition does not improve.

Trusted Contributor

from peoples rx - my sister drinks STOPS LEG AND FOOT CRAMPS in about 1 minute. that's the name of the product. she swears by it. she gets leg cramps frequently, so this is always in her purse when she goes out 

Frequent Contributor

Yellow mustard packets on nightstand.  Super old school but it works, it's cheap and no health conflicts.