Honored Contributor

@debfau wrote:

@gloriajean 

There is a medication called "Leg Cramps" made by Hyland's; it's an over the counter medication but you could take it over to pharmicist and see if he can take with his heart medicine.

This is what I use too and within minute my leg or toe cramp goes away. It's pretty amazing. It's a homeopathic treatment that you dissolve under your tongue. I've used several of their products with success, like Arnica, and teething drops when my kids were little.  

Honored Contributor

Re: leg cramps at night

[ Edited ]

Look into adding some magnesium, but don't overdo it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I find that rubbing BioFreeze on my legs helps.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@gloriajean Pickle juice as others have already mentioned and be sure he is not dehydrated from the heat.  Most blood pressure meds rid the body of water and can also increase leg cramps.  Good luck & touch base with the dr or fnp if condition does not improve.

@Boomernichols   Since most heart patients are told to strictly limit their sodium intake, it seems consumption of high sodium pickle juice could be very risky.  The last thing they should do is retain fluid due to sodium.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I drink tonic water with quinine nightly- not a panacea-but it does help. If it's a cholesterol rx bothering him there are different  meds that cause less cramping.

Good luck to dh and you.

Respected Contributor

I have had good success using a heating pad. The heat seems to relax the muscles. I am sorry he is suffering with these. They are excruciating.

Esteemed Contributor

Statins will cause leg cramps also.  If they are real bad, I would stop the Statins.  

Honored Contributor

Eat vegetables with a high potassium content (if you diet allows it)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Re: leg cramps at night

[ Edited ]

@BalletBabe wrote:

Statins will cause leg cramps also.  If they are real bad, I would stop the Statins.  

@BalletBabe 

Have I got this right? You are suggesting this, to a person that is on a Prescription Medicine, prescribed by I assume a Cardiologist?

"You would stop taking it", because of a muscle spasms(cramps)? 

Lordy me!! 

ETA:  thought I should mention. The Heart is also a muscleLeg cramp or a heart cramp! Easy choice for most.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@gloriajean   Speak with his doctor to prescribe prescription strength magnesium and potassium supplements.  They are more potent and pure than most over the counter ones.  My SO's cardiologist prescribed magnesium and potassium supplements for him when he started him on those medications and he can monitor his bloodwork better.