Esteemed Contributor

There's a medicine that my husband has to take for his heart and it causes severe leg cramps. So he quit taking it for awhile, and he's noticing he's not feeling as good without it, so he will go back on it, and take some tonic water for the cramps. Every night he is taking magnesium, The Calm, it's called, and you put 2 tsps. in a cup with warm water, it fizzes, then after it's done fizzing more warm water and drink. That medicine is stronger and still gives bad cramps.  Sure do hope the tonic water works, because he realizes he needs that medication.  Anyone else know remedies for leg cramps?

Valued Contributor

@gloriajean 

There is a medication called "Leg Cramps" made by Hyland's; it's an over the counter medication but you could take it over to pharmicist and see if he can take with his heart medicine.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I do not .. also sorry your husband has to live with this .

They are so painfull .....

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you! Will do.

Honored Contributor

Some diuretics prescribed for high blood pressure will cause leg cramps.  Doctors generally advise patients to eat foods high in potassium, which is usually a banana or an orange.  My doctor doesn't recommend potassium pills.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I drink dill pickle juice for my leg cramps.

Honored Contributor

I've heard many support the pickle juice theory although nobody was using it for cramps caused by a medication.  Also, if low potassium is a problem, an avocado has 3X the amount of potassium as a banana.

Honored Contributor

I also drink pickle juice, like @RedTop. when I get leg cramps.

And I don't know what is happening but I woke up the last 3 nights in a row at 4 AM with leg cramps. I bought another bottle of pickles today.

Valued Contributor

My friend that had a gastric bypass and often gets dehydrated relies on Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier packets to keep her leg cramps at bay.

I also read on People's Pharmacy that someone takes three quarters cup of gatorade with one fourth cup of water before they go to bed to stop the leg cramps.

Respected Contributor

When I was pregnant, I had awful leg cramps. They woke me up out of a sound sleep and felt like someone was twisting my leg muscles in knots. My doctor told me to eat a few Tums everyday. I think I ate 2 during the day and 2 after dinner and didn't have any problems after that. Hope this helps. I still remember that pain 36 years later.