Esteemed Contributor

@Leeny 

While reading this I had "relatable" type pains myself. As you said in your very last sentence, I too hope you have been through the last of this kidney stone business. You have suffered enough!

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

Thank You "John" I hope the ones I do have lay still for the rest of my life also. My DH had them quite sometime ago too and he then realized what labor pains are like after I told him. I don't think there is anything like it to be honest with you. 

Trusted Contributor

I have had several over the last 20 years.  All but one have passed.  I have ended up in the ER several times. A few things that have helped,  I talk a warm bath and that helps with the pain,.  The last one I had I let my bladder get really full with water and drank a glass of wine and tried to hold my urine as long as possible and it went flying out that time. 

A few years ago I had a very large one that wouldn't pass and I had a total blockage,  they had to put a stent in for a few weeks which was horrible,  I couldn't get comfortable to sleep or do anything.  They went in a broke down the stone with a laser. 

If you have remaining smaller stones in your kidney don't ever get dehydrated,  drink lots of water so they won't come out of the kidney.  

I have watch the foods high in oxlates.  I eat very little beets, spinich, or rhubarb.  The last time I went for my anual check up I had no stones in my kidneys,  the first time in 20 years. 

If the pain is unbearable and you can't urinate go to the ER.  Now adays they think you are just looking for pain pills until they get the cat scan back showing you have a passing stone.

Good luck

Frequent Contributor

Every body is mentioning to drink lots and lots of water. That's a good idea, but also remember to add in some electrolytes with that water. I learned this the hard way. I was drinking all kinds of water and one night I couldn't pee. We went down the the ER and I was starting to go into septic shock. They cautherized me and I didn't have any urine in my bladder. My temperture had dropped down to 93. After getting two bags of saline over several hours,  I was back to normal. I never passed my 2 stones. I had surgery last summer to get rid of them. I also had Covid at the same time. It was brutal. For 3 weeks I was in so much pain. He told me not to take any Vitamin C. I sure don't want to develop any more.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: kidney stones

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 

It depends on the size of the stone itself. DH has had some that passed, but he's going in for surgery for one that is not painful, but that has shown no signs of passing. It is too big and likely not able to go down the canal any farther. His doctor put him on Flomax, a muscle relaxant that in effect relaxes the ureter so the stone has a better chance of passing.

As the doctor explained, you can be pain free as DH was after the initial attack that landed him in the ER, but if after 2 months, it's probably not going on it's own...plus it will continue to get bigger and be wreaking havoc on your kidney, causing it to swell--and leading to kidney death. Apparently this can happen rapidly. Who knew?

So DH is getting it broken up by laser with the stent. Friends and family have had this done and it went well.

Best wishes that yours passes on its own and soon!

Trusted Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

Kidney stones? My comparison to these are labor pains. I've had several kidney stones over the years ( approx. 45 years) I've had small ones, large ones and very large ones. I was able to pass them all (pain full as all get out) except for the last one. They had to laser it out through a surgical procedure. I am known as a chronic stone former. Years ago when I was 7 months pregnant I was in the hospital due to stones getting stuck in my ureter tube. I passed 9 stones eventually, but only one at a time. So it felt like giving birth 9 times. 

So yes, I know all about kidney stones. The main pain comes from when they begin to move out of the kidney down to the bladder. Once in your bladder the pain is gone. 

I am checked once a year as I have a couple sitting in my kidneys now, but they are laying still. The one I needed surgery on was so huge it couldn't have moved if it wanted to, it was too heavy. I hope I never have to go through that  again.

This sounds just like me, except I've never experienced labor pains.

I've heard stone pain described that way, though.

I tend to develop them, and then they try to pass and then get stuck in my ureter. When they've been too large to pass, I've needed to have a Ureteroscopy done with a stent placed in aftrtwards.

For some reason though, I only develop them in my left kidney. 

That's o.k. though. One side is enough! 

I also see a Urologist once a year to get checked to see if any stones are forming.

Unfortunately, I have a small stone sitting in my left kidney right now that recently formed.

It's too small too pass, and he said that it will probably just sit there.

The key--as others have said here--is to keep drinking lots of water.

My doctor has also recommended drinking either lemonade or lemon water or sugar-free lemonade. It can keep the stone/s from enlarging.

It's the citric acid in the lemonade that helps the stones.