Honored Contributor

I take a couple tablespoons of pure lemon juice in a small amount of warm water every morning to prevent them. 

The lemon water can help dissolve them too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 

Never had this issue. Many my co-workers years ago before I retired. Had ongoing problems with kidney stones. One thing they all had in common, all of those I mentioned drank very little water. Several of them were on BP Meds that lowered their potassium levels, while raising their uric acid levels.

Always been a believer in "the more things regularly move through our systems, the less chance of having issues" . Organs like bladder/small intestines/colon and kidneys.

Think this is 1 health issue I have been able to avoid, thus far, is I have always drank large amounts of water each day.

Am sure there will be several others that can tell you their experiences with this issue. I wish you the best for a quick and least painful solution to this problem.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

My stone had moved out of my kidney, blocking the ureter.   The pain was excruciating.  My GS's school was closed that day & I was watching him for his mom.   I spent most of the time in bed, eating tylenol.   I really didn't know what was going on

I asked my DD to come home early, she took me to the emergency room, I had emergency surgery that night.   During Covid, no less.

I only have the one kidney, if I had 2, the treatment may have been different.   I now take potassium citrate per my nephrologist.

An otherwise healthy person may not need surgery.

@software wow what a story, how awful.

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@panda1234 

Never had this issue. Many my co-workers years ago before I retired. Had ongoing problems with kidney stones. One thing they all had in common, all of those I mentioned drank very little water. Several of them were on BP Meds that lowered their potassium levels, while raising their uric acid levels.

Always been a believer in "the more things regularly move through our systems, the less chance of having issues" . Organs like bladder/small intestines/colon and kidneys.

Think this is 1 health issue I have been able to avoid, thus far, is I have always drank large amounts of water each day.

Am sure there will be several others that can tell you their experiences with this issue. I wish you the best for a quick and least painful solution to this problem.

hckynut   🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn after reading your post I believe I have been down in my water intake. Bet that is what happened. 

Respected Contributor

@panda1234   As others have mentioned..... Very, very painful...... So painful that I went to the emergency room, but as luck would have it, or not......by the time they booked me into a cubicle, I ended up passing it myself.  Still charged me and my insurance, of course.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234- Drink lots of water with lemon and avoid foods high in oxalates.

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@panda1234   As others have mentioned..... Very, very painful...... So painful that I went to the emergency room, but as luck would have it, or not......by the time they booked me into a cubicle, I ended up passing it myself.  Still charged me and my insurance, of course.  

I went to the emergency room in pain. They had me drink over a liter of some liquid before my CAT scan. They had trouble with the older lady ahead of me that also was getting a CAT scan. I waited well over an hour to get the CAT scan after drinking the liquid. They did not see the stone. All the hospital found was blood in my urine.

THEN they made me stay overnight. I couldn't believe it. They didn't see the stone and I was no longer in pain. Next day the Doctor came in to discharge me. The first words out of his mouth was "Why are you here?" Believe me I did not want to stay overnight in the hospital. It certainly was not my idea.

Valued Contributor

My husband has had several.  We finally figured it out.  Everytime he eats any kind of nut, he gets a kidney stone.  Amazing.

Respected Contributor

@BLH wrote:

My husband has had several.  We finally figured it out.  Everytime he eats any kind of nut, he gets a kidney stone.  Amazing.

@BLH   That's nuts.  😉

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

Kidney stones? My comparison to these are labor pains. I've had several kidney stones over the years ( approx. 45 years) I've had small ones, large ones and very large ones. I was able to pass them all (pain full as all get out) except for the last one. They had to laser it out through a surgical procedure. I am known as a chronic stone former. Years ago when I was 7 months pregnant I was in the hospital due to stones getting stuck in my ureter tube. I passed 9 stones eventually, but only one at a time. So it felt like giving birth 9 times. 

So yes, I know all about kidney stones. The main pain comes from when they begin to move out of the kidney down to the bladder. Once in your bladder the pain is gone. 

I am checked once a year as I have a couple sitting in my kidneys now, but they are laying still. The one I needed surgery on was so huge it couldn't have moved if it wanted to, it was too heavy. I hope I never have to go through that  again.