Respected Contributor

Just wondering if anyone has had them. This is my first and have not passed it yet. Could you share your experience with me? 

Frequent Contributor

I have had many over the years. They are very painful but usually pass within a day or two. The last one I had was in May of last year. The pain was not bad at all but after a few days of not being able to pass it I went to the ER. They did a CT scan and it was determined the stone was lodged in my kidney because it was too big to pass so they did surgery to break it up. The surgery wasn't bad at all, I came home the same day. 
just make sure you keep drinking water to help pass it. 

Good Luck. 

Regular Contributor

I had kidney stones about 5 years ago.  Very painful.  It took about 3 and a half months for mine to pass and I was being monitored that entire time.  Fortunately I was not in severe pain that entire time.  I would get some pain from it on occasion but it was nothing like the pain that drove me to the ER at the onset.  

Most people do pass their kidney stones in a couple of days to a week. But there are some folks that take longer.  I didn't want you to worry if it took longer.  Just keep in  touch with your doctor and drink lots of water.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had one a few years ago and had to have surgery because it didn't pass on its own. However, the pain wasn't bad. I had heard before that it's excruciating, but in my case, the pain was tolerable. I waited a couple weeks for the stone to pass, and pain pills helped at time, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

My husband had two kidney stones (one in each kidney) last year.  His first symptom was bloody urine.  Later on he had some pain but said it wasn't horrible, which I was surprised.  Went to doctor, ordered a CT Scan.  That's what showed the kidney stones.  Husband opted to see if he could pass on his own, and he did, but just one.  We saved it and bought it back to doctor's visit.  It was sent to lab and then husband did some lab work.  All that showed what type of stone it was and what he needed to do to prevent more from forming.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

@teganslaw 

@Cali Bag Lady 

@Squirt60 Thank you all for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it.

Trusted Contributor

Webmd talks about going on a roller coaster ride... Look up roller coaster rides and kidney stones. No joke!

Respected Contributor

It might not hurt to take this:

Stone Breaker Chanca Piedra - Natural Kidney Cleanse & Gallbladder Formula

Stone Breaker Chanca Piedra - Natural Kidney Cleanse & Gallbladder Formula - Detoxify Urinary Tract, Flush Impurities, Clear System - Hydrangea & Celery Seed Extract - 60 Vegetarian Soft Capsules

Honored Contributor

Re: kidney stones

[ Edited ]

My stone had moved out of my kidney, blocking the ureter.   The pain was excruciating.  My GS's school was closed that day & I was watching him for his mom.   I spent most of the time in bed, eating tylenol.   I really didn't know what was going on

I asked my DD to come home early, she took me to the emergency room, I had emergency surgery that night.   During Covid, no less.

I only have the one kidney, if I had 2, the treatment may have been different.   I now take potassium citrate per my nephrologist.

An otherwise healthy person may not need surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234. Stones can be very painful.  If the scan showed the approximate size, hopefully it will pass without too much pain.  Drink plenty of water to flush it out.  There is a non-invasive procedure (ESWL) whereby shock waves are used to break up the stone.   The patient is under anesthesia.   

Hoping yours will pass quickly and give you relief.