Trusted Contributor

Re: kidney stones and laser treatment

I had this procedure two years ago and it wasn't too bad...much less pain than passing a kidney stone for sure.  I had some soreness for a few days and a headache from the anesthesia.  The headache was worse than the soreness and I'm sure most people have no problem with headaches. 

The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the amount of blood in my urine for a couple of days afterwards.  They tell you to expect it but I wasn't expecting that much.  Tell your wife not to worry if she has more blood than she was expecting, it only lasts a couple of days.

Good luck to her, it is definitely worth having it done.  I haven't had any problem since the procedure and before that I passed two very painful stones.

Valued Contributor

Some people who get kidney stones have an out of whack parathyroid gland.  My husband has had several kidney stones and we finally nailed it down to every time he eats any kind of nut, he gets a kidney stone.  He stopped eating nuts and hasn't had a kidney stone since.

Respected Contributor

maria had her laser procedure friday morning. went well but she has to have it a secound time because she had alot of kidney stones and doctor said being theres alot of stones vision after awhile becomes cloudy so we will do it a secound time . if he dosnt have a clear veiw laser could hit something other than stones causing injury of even death so thats why he has to do it a secound time. she is uncomfortable and has pain like 20 minutes after peeing. thanks for everyones input.

Respected Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

Some people who get kidney stones have an out of whack parathyroid gland.  My husband has had several kidney stones and we finally nailed it down to every time he eats any kind of nut, he gets a kidney stone.  He stopped eating nuts and hasn't had a kidney stone since.

This was my husbands problem.   The called it hyperparathyroidism.   After several surgeries they removed the damaged one and he hasn't had any since.

He passed the 2 with the dime, and had the ones by the nickel removed.  This was his 3rd surgery.kidney stoneskidney stones 2

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

did he have a stent put in when he had stones removed?

Respected Contributor

I have suffered from multiple episodes of kidney stones after I stopped mentalpause at age 52.  I am now 64 and my last episode was February of this year.  I usually get them twice a year.  I have been to two different urologists. I have had CT scans, the last one over a year ago that showed 2 large stones in the right side. At the time of the CT scan, I had minimal blood in my urine EVERY day. The doctor said I would NEVER pass them on my own and suggested lithotripsy.  My mind shut off when he said general anesthetic.   I have a healthy fear of it after a bad experience. 

Last February, the symptoms started: flank pain that worsens throughout the day, constant urination and finally nausea/vomiting and dry heaves.  After that, I urinate and pass the stone with a scratching pain.  I have only once caught the stone but never got it analyzed.  My episodes last for 8-10 hours and after that I feel as good as new.  However, this last episode longer and was so very painful.  Well, after the stone(s) passed, I have not had a drop of blood in my urine.  I do believe I passed the stone he said I never would on my own.

As I write this, I am knocking on wood and keeping my fingers crossed.

After reading here, I always consider myself so very lucky to not have medical problems you all have but kidney stones have been the bane of my existence for 12 years and I SO hope I am done with them.  I have never experienced childbirth but every woman I've talked to says it's the closes comparison.

Whew!!

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

did he have a stent put in when he had stones removed?

For the ones in the picture yes.  For the previous 2 surgeries no.    

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

I have suffered from multiple episodes of kidney stones after I stopped mentalpause at age 52.  I am now 64 and my last episode was February of this year.  I usually get them twice a year.  I have been to two different urologists. I have had CT scans, the last one over a year ago that showed 2 large stones in the right side. At the time of the CT scan, I had minimal blood in my urine EVERY day. The doctor said I would NEVER pass them on my own and suggested lithotripsy.  My mind shut off when he said general anesthetic.   I have a healthy fear of it after a bad experience. 

Last February, the symptoms started: flank pain that worsens throughout the day, constant urination and finally nausea/vomiting and dry heaves.  After that, I urinate and pass the stone with a scratching pain.  I have only once caught the stone but never got it analyzed.  My episodes last for 8-10 hours and after that I feel as good as new.  However, this last episode longer and was so very painful.  Well, after the stone(s) passed, I have not had a drop of blood in my urine.  I do believe I passed the stone he said I never would on my own.

As I write this, I am knocking on wood and keeping my fingers crossed.

After reading here, I always consider myself so very lucky to not have medical problems you all have but kidney stones have been the bane of my existence for 12 years and I SO hope I am done with them.  I have never experienced childbirth but every woman I've talked to says it's the closes comparison.

Whew!!

I forgot to add that I have 3 of my parathyroid glands that are "active".  I have a severe reaction to any high blood pressure meds with a diuretic in it.  The endocrinologist who diagnosed this referred me to an ENT about possible removal. The ENT I saw and know from the hospital I worked in, said that due to my age and monitoring of my Vitamin D levels to forget surgery.  Most parathyroid tumors are benign.  I opted to forego any surgery.

Valued Contributor

I had my first  bout with kidney stones in Fall 2015.  i had a 5mm stuck in my ureter with subsequent hydronephrosis.  I was hospitalized because of that stone and the other finding of a blood clot in my renal vein (same side as stone) and then a pulmonary embolism.

I had severe pain and nausea with the stone.  I opted to not go to the ER, because I thought I could get through it.  I had no blood in urine.  I never passed the stone in the hospital and was sent home.

Fast forward to 6 weeks later.  That stone moved 1/4 of an inch in my ureter.  I had pain in a different area and visible blood in urine.

Had ureteroscopy with laser and stent placement.  In addition to the post op migraine and nausea, I had stent pain, severe pain at end of urination and bloody urine.  All of those lasted the entire time the stent was in- 17 days.

Stent removal was easy.  It was done via cystoscopy in my doctor's office.  I took an oral antibiotic in the office.  A medical assistant numbed my urethra with lidocaine gel. Doc came in, inserted cystoscope, located stent and pulled it with the scope.  I watched the entire process on a video monitor.  You could see where my bladder was banged up.  I had no issues after stent removal.

I wish your wife well.

Trusted Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

my wife is going to tomorrow morning for kidney stones to be treated with a laser. has anyone had this done. would appriciate your input.  thank you

Hi @Pooky1,

There are different procedures that can be done for removing stones.

There is lithotripsy and there is ureteroscopy with laser, which is what I've had done under general anesthesia. I've had a stent placed, and that had to stay in for around a week or so afterwards.

I have an overactive bladder, so the stent caused my bladder to be more uncomfortable while it was in, but once it came out, I felt much better.

I had some nausea for awhile after the procedure, which is normal for me. It takes awhile for me to start feeling better afterwards. That's just how I personally respond.

I hope that your wife is feeling better by now. She has my best wishes.