Esteemed Contributor

is this a possibility re: EKG

My almost 83 year old father has an appointment in a large city, with lung dr one day this week for an EKG. He is on several heart/lung medications and is doing well, but he sees this Dr. once a year who prescribed his meds, and the Dr. always does an EKG.

Well, due to Covid and the possible demonstrations, we are not looking forward to this trip. I will call that doctors office on Monday, but does anyone know if doctors will let you have an EKG at another clinic, send them the results to keep you from having to make the trip?

Honored Contributor

Re: is this a possibility re: EKG

@happycat Definitely ask about this.

Honored Contributor

@happycat As long as it works with your insurance company and you have a place to go to have the test done locally, I don't see why there should be a problem.

My DH has had an MRI done locally but his doctor is located at the University of the Hospital of PA....which is a real PITA to get to even in the best of times so we try to have testing done locally and have it sent over.

Honored Contributor

I am sure it can be done at any of the walk in neighborhood clinics. It is a very basic test, just requires the right machine. 

Super Contributor

@happycat - Definitely ask.  I really hope it's possible. 💗

Esteemed Contributor

Ok, thank all of you. I appreciate it. There is a facility in our hometown that only does tests like that. Usually the "sick" people don't go there. I'm thinking it would be a lot safer. 

DH said he was taking off work, he works from home now anyway- to drive us as at this point he doesn't feel comfortable with just me and daddy going, but I'm not sure even thats a good idea at this point.

The numbers are going up by hundreds every day here now and no telling how many are asymptomatic or walking around sick, knowing it anyway. And then there are the social issues we have now. I just don't feel like it would be safe. Its a very unnerving feeling I have about all of it. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is absolutely possible.  I am able to get radiology treatments, Rx and labs with no problems at a hospital a couple of hours away which has not been covid impacted.  Might have to change doctors for some things.

Honored Contributor

Everything is computerized these days - and if they are in the same "network" it's easy.  My doc explained that some networks are linked to others.  So - depends on your doc's situation.

I had a bunch of tests done at the hospital last November when I had my accident.  I've seen three different doctors since and all had access to the complete hosptal records .... and all my prior medical records - CT Scans, x-rays. blood tests.

Valued Contributor

My mother has a pacemaker and she has it set up that she only has to see the doctor and go into the office once a year because my brother is able to set it up for the every three month transmission of her pacemaker. I know that there are satilite offices around here that do MRI and the likes and I would think that they would be able to transmit the results.

I know that about 14 yrs ago the Dopplar on my leg was sent via internet to the doctor who was on vacation in a different state. Doesn't hurt to ask the doctor or the staff.

Honored Contributor

Call ASAP, I think you will be happy how much they will accommodate you.