Honored Contributor

Re: if you've had knee surgery, do you use a stationary bike, if so what one?

Thank you all so much,   Looking at next May, guess it takes that long to get that whole thing going.   Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  I had both knees replaced in 2013.  I can do a bike...But, I prefer just walking as it is not so boring.  My bike pretty much is just a dust catcher. 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Rode several Airdyne's in  several different rehab facilities. I never saw 1 of the type you described in your post. I personally did not like the Airdyne bikes. Too uncomfortable for longer rides, and I found the recumbents much better on my surgically repaired lumbar spine.

The recumbents, with direct drive,  I found much easier to use, when I had leg injuries and also my 3 month bout with Patella Tendinitis. I could use the good leg to get my heart rate into a high enough range to maintain a lot of my Cardio over those months of no skating/no running/no walking.

Even my very old, pretty cheap ProForm, has seat adjustments that make it very easy to choose your range of motion and also flexion. A person just has to work with the knee angle that works best for their starting rehab, and changing it as those movement properties, change during rehab and beyond.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Hey, whatever exercise one likes, is best long term for everyone. However, when it comes to most injury and/or post op Rehab, specificity in what and how one rehabs, are not always the ones they may like the best. Depends on what goals they have set for their recoveries.

Enjoy those walks, I have been taking our little dog Lily for walks on occasion. The road coming and going are a V shape. Our home sits atop 1 of the tips of that V. Steep and long going down and coming back.

Got about a 1 mile and 2 mile route, very little is flat. Gets me a different type of quad work for my skating legs. We power up all the long, steep parts, and going down gives the thigh biceps/calves and Achilles Tendons some good work also.

Prefer my gym machines with my Surround Sound music. More specificity and I can control my length of anaerobic heart rate much easier and precise.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I have several friends in their forties and fifties who invested in Peloton bikes.  These are several thousand dollars and there is a monthly subscription on top of that.  If you are replacing gym work, it might be worth it ( it was to both of my friends ).

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

To each their own. Some like these types of things for motivation. I don't mind spending high $$$ for equipment, but?  Those things look very uncomfortable to me. I realize exercise can be uncomfortable, but I save that for resistance and/or anaerobic heart rates, not a sore butt.

I usually find my own motivation, and the key to anyone's Cardio, is Heart Rate. How you get there makes no difference, in heart health or physical fitness.

Same thing for leg strength. It involves resistance against different types of motion. Running uses the thigh biceps(hamstrings) primarily, and ice skating used the Quads primarily. Running to get strength to skate? Better off on 1 of my recumbents, and better yet, actually skating.

I see another brand that looks to be competing with Peloton. Something like Electron? Looks like this company has more equipment than just a bike. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)