Honored Contributor

if you've had knee surgery, do you use a stationary bike, if so what one?

Do you use one, make &/or model?  

Just curious, in case I'd find out I needed one.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: if you've had knee surgery, do you use a stationary bike, if so what one?

I would wait and see what your PT says 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I was in a rehab facility after my surgery and the stationary bikes were an important part of the rehab program.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I agree that therapy will have a stationary bike for you to ride there and you can ask them what kind they prefer for home if that's what you want. I bought the flex stationary bike from QVC several years back just to excercise and after my recent knee replacement the therapist who came to my home for PT prior to outpatient therapy saw my bike and suggested I use it for rehab. I am still in therapy and use my flex bike sometimes prior to going to PT and it does help me loosen my knee. Again talk to your therapist as far as what they recommend

Esteemed Contributor

I did when I was in therapy but 3 years later I used a rowing machine. I don't like bikes. I find them to boring. I sometimes use a recumbent elipical at the gym. 

Respected Contributor

I had a meniscus surgery not TKR, but yes, I used a stationary bike for rehab at my physical therapist's.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

My wife used a recumbent bike to warm up at her PT Classes. They had 1 similar to one of my 2. It was a True ES700, my new one is a TRUE ES9OO. Top of the line and expensive at over $3000. My older recumbent is a ProForm, which I used to train for years.

She used our home True recumbent and also my NuStep machine, which is also a step through frame design.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I used the recumbent eliptical postTNR with  both knees when I was going to therapy.  I bought the Cubii that Q was selling and use that daily just to keep the knees flexible.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Do you use one, make &/or model?  

Just curious, in case I'd find out I needed one.

Thanks.

@qualitygal 

I had a total knee replacement 13 years ago and was required to use a stationary bike as part of rehab.  When I was recovered enough to go back to the gym I continued to use a reclining stationary bike as part of my workout.

When COVID ended my trips to the gym, I started to lose some flexibility in my knees and they started to hurt so I bought a stationary bike to use at home.  It's been a godsend and worth every penny.  I can't remember exactly how much I paid,  but it was less than $200.

I was surprised to find out that it's not necessary to pay a lot for a decent bike.  Mine is a "Stamina Recumbant Exercise Bike with Upper Body Exerciser."  Model # 15-0340.  The model I have seemed to be available from a number of different companies on the internet - my friend has the same bike with a different brand name on it and she bought it from a different source.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

My PT (way back in 93) had a bike with adjustable pedals so if your range of motion wasn't where it needed to be, one pedal could be offset so that leg would stay more fully extended. Once past that it was on to a Schwinn Airdyne bike which was fun. At home I also have a Proform bike that does the job.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!