Honored Contributor

if you had a cornea transplant

Since it is flu shot time, I thought I would mention that those who have had a cornea transplant should check with their eye doctor to see if they should use an RX eye drop to prevent rejection of the transplanted cornea.

My sister had to have a second cornea transplant due to rejection of the first one after a flu shot.  Her eye surgeon did not tell her about the immunization and the need for more meds.

Honored Contributor

Re: if you had a cornea transplant

Its strange they don't have this information on the instructional sheet they give you prior to getting the shot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I agree.  It should also be on the information sheet you get when they do the transplant too.

My  sister's PCP had no idea a flu shot could cause rejection either.  It is sad and a shame to ruin a good transplanted cornea this way, not to mention the second surgery and second cornea that is required.  I don't know if corneas are rare for transplants or not.  But I think they should be taken care of and not wasted.  Some one made a great sacrifice when they donated.

Honored Contributor

Good heavens!   The same thing happened to a woman at my church.  It was several years ago, she'd had corneal transplant and she said she was never told that she needed special care to prevent rejection if she had a flu shot.  Well she had the flu shot and not only did she have deal with rejection of the transplant but she became gravely ill.  They managed to save the transplanted cornes and she recovered but she was sick for a very long time.  Apparently, it's a rare complication.  Still, it was mind boggling that she wasn't told.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Its strange they don't have this information on the instructional sheet they give you prior to getting the shot.

Yes.  Worse still that the opthalmologist did not include it in the written post op instructions.  Similar to the way that those of us have joint replacements are told that we must  get prophalactic antibiotics before dental work, even cleanings.  As a precaution. 

Honored Contributor

I never knew that. Good to know. Thanks @Carmie