Respected Contributor

Re: how to find if i am talking to myself unconciously

@MaggieMack wrote:

Huh? I have known people with Multiple Personality, have you had this checked? One doesn't know what the other one says or does.

From what I've studied in psychology, multiple personalities are extremely rare

Valued Contributor

Good idea to ask someone you trust to let you know if you are talking to yourself. I know I do so sometimes, as it helps me sort out what I need to do, but it is a conscious thing, usually. But I was at WalMart one time and one of the greeters commented if I knew that I was talking to myself. I did not know! 

Esteemed Contributor

OP,

I'm presuming you are talking out loud. Just going on the title of your thread, OK?

Get thee a digital voice recorder with a BIG memory capability and carry it with you 24/7. Listen to it whenever you become interested/concerned.

If you are talking about when you are sleeping, same answer. Now if you are saying MENTALLY talking inaudibly to yourself? Either a shrink or physic might give it a go!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My husband talks to himself when he is in the shower.  No other time.  It's strange.  I told him it was.  He takes a shower in the AM and he said he is just lining out the day.  LOL

Respected Contributor

@mima wrote:

My husband talks to himself when he is in the shower.  No other time.  It's strange.  I told him it was.  He takes a shower in the AM and he said he is just lining out the day.  LOL

Are you sure he doesn't have someone in there with him???  pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Trusted Contributor

I actually talk out loud to myself frequently. “Where did I put that grocery list” “What was I thinking getting a Phillips screwdriver to use on THAT?” “I wonder if I remembered to turn the dishwasher on”. I have done this all my life and don’t see it as a problem.

Ranting to a boss would be like complaining over and over…that IS a problem. Why not go to the boss and ask if it is referencing you. Say you are always looking for ways to improve and want to know about issues that can make you a better person and worker. The boss will probably respect you for it. If it is you, then you can work to improve yourself. If it is not you, you will likely never know who it was but you will have peace of mind and the boss will know you were willing and eager to evolve. It is win-win.

I generally think the simplest route is the direct route.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

I sometimes softly hum to myself while working but I am very aware of it. Sometimes they are songs sung at church, other times they are Christmas songs. My husband talks to himself in the shower and while playing games on the computer. He is also aware of it. It has not impacted our daily life at all and since we are aware of it I see no problem. Obviously during a meeting at work I don't start humming a Christmas song. It's done at an appropriate time when no one else would be affected .
Trusted Contributor

@chchsteak-----I hear you LOUD & Clear.  If it was something that was a disturbance, someone would have mentioned it to you.    I talk to myself or all posters on here,c an't type as fast as talk. I talk to the TV, the cat, myself, a pretty flower, or house. A lot lot of inanimate objects, including DH.  If it really bothers you, the tapeing is an excellent idea.  Let us know what comes of it.--------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I'm alone and upset I do.  I even swear out loud (really bad Jersey girl words). 

Yesterday was a very emotionally negative day for me.  I found myself asking for help out loud from my beloved mom and sister who are both gone.  I wound up having a good cry and that helped.

I have decided that I need a professional to talk to to give me the tools to deal with my current situation.  My GP said she would refer me to someone who would not recommend antidepressants because I will not take them.  I'm going to call her today.  I have never felt the need for therapy in my life, but I recognize I need it now. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Congrats on your decision LilacTree.