Honored Contributor

Re: how do you figure out what your ideal heart rate is when you exercise?

On 12/28/2014 VaBelle35 said:

My club is LA Fitness, but I should ask them about indoor tris. They are always looking for stuff to keep people interested.

I'm ALL about the indoors. LOL No helmet, climate controlled.

Giggle... I call it "Vampire Cycling"...cycling in cool, dark, damp rooms. Smiley Tongue

Super Contributor

I had one of the trainers do it for me. There's a heart rate monitor on some of the equipment at my gym.

Have your doctor (or the drugstore) do a resting heart rate.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone! I think I have a better idea of how to find my "zone". Subtracting my age ( 62) from 180, it would be 118 approximately? Until I calculate it , that is roughly what it is? What is your zone ? Do you adjust it or does it change much?
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 sidsmom said:
On 12/28/2014 VaBelle35 said:

My club is LA Fitness, but I should ask them about indoor tris. They are always looking for stuff to keep people interested.

I'm ALL about the indoors. LOL No helmet, climate controlled.

Giggle... I call it "Vampire Cycling"...cycling in cool, dark, damp rooms. Smiley Tongue

I love it!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Kathleen said:

I had one of the trainers do it for me. There's a heart rate monitor on some of the equipment at my gym.

Have your doctor (or the drugstore) do a resting heart rate.

The HRMs on the equipment aren't very accurate because you aren't wearing a chest strap. I wouldn't use it as a gold standard, but it will give you an approximation (probably better than perceived exertion).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Persephonel said: Thanks everyone! I think I have a better idea of how to find my "zone". Subtracting my age ( 62) from 180, it would be 118 approximately? Until I calculate it , that is roughly what it is? What is your zone ? Do you adjust it or does it change much?

The 180-Age formula calculates your Zone for health...many call it "Zone 2", "Endurance", "Fat Burning", "Foundation"...no matter what it's called, it's 60%-70% of your maximum heart rate (118=70%).

The theory behind the 180-Age is...the stronger your hearts get, the more work you can produce w/ the same heart rate. This method definitely prevents over-doing it...RARELY one should be on their knees gasping for breath. Many think this is a badge of honor, but they are harming themselves in the long-run.

Stick w/ your Zone 2 for optimum health! Here's a chart w/ the #s..print it out & take with you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Valued Contributor

On 12/29/2014 sidsmom said:
On 12/28/2014 Persephonel said: Thanks everyone! I think I have a better idea of how to find my "zone". Subtracting my age ( 62) from 180, it would be 118 approximately? Until I calculate it , that is roughly what it is? What is your zone ? Do you adjust it or does it change much?

The 180-Age formula calculates your Zone for health...many call it "Zone 2", "Endurance", "Fat Burning", "Foundation"...no matter what it's called, it's 60%-70% of your maximum heart rate (118=70%).

The theory behind the 180-Age is...the stronger your hearts get, the more work you can produce w/ the same heart rate. This method definitely prevents over-doing it...RARELY one should be on their knees gasping for breath. Many think this is a badge of honor, but they are harming themselves in the long-run.

Stick w/ your Zone 2 for optimum health! Here's a chart w/ the #s..print it out & take with you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
thank you so much!