Regular Contributor

have any of you ever had an endoscopy with ultrasound?

I recieved a message today that my gastroenterologist wants me to have this done. There was a nodule noticed under my stomach lining during a regular endoscopy---- so now I need to have this procedure. I cant help but be very anxious about this because I only went in for stomach acid issues and all of the biopsies that were taken all came back normal.

It is just that this gastroenterologist doesnt do this procedure so now I need to meet with another doctor. As I mentioned in an earlier post I suffer from anxiety issues and panic attacks that I have been able to come a long way with but now I am feeling overwhelmed.

Honored Contributor

Re: have any of you ever had an endoscopy with ultrasound?

I have had this done on a few of my many Endo's. The procedure for me was exactly the same as the regular Endo. However, the scope they use for the Ultrasound is different. 

If you are worried about the procedure itself. Don't. It is the same. As far as waiting for the results? I've pretty much said in the other thread how I view waiting for results.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I might be missing something here but if I was having acid refllux and the standard endoscopy with biopsy came back normal.....I'd be pretty happy that my doctor was sending me for further testing.  I'd want to know what was causing it.   You've had endoscopies, this isn't a new procedure for you and with ultrasound guidance, your experience won't be any different.  If you are all worked up over this, ask your PCP for a few valium to calm you down until you have the procedure. 

Respected Contributor

I have pancreatitis and have to have all my ERCPs with an ultrasound. There was no pain afterwards even after I had a tumor taken out one time and a muscle cut near my pancreas another time. They have come a long way with the surgeries of today. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Regular Contributor

On Thursday 3/31 I was called by a nurse and told that all of my biopsies were benign.I even posted that on here.  I asked if these were all of the results and the nurse  said yes. After I hung up, I thought the nurse didnt mention the nodule result. So I messaged her back the next day-friday.

Flash to today- wednesday 4/6- I get a message in my mychart account---not even a phone call-- that the gastro doc wants me to have this procedure done because she doesnt do it. Now this new gastro doctor cant see me until JULY.

now if I hadnt called back and specifically asked about "the nodule" -I dont even know if I would have ever been told or re contacted about pursuing a follow up. Again I am asking all of you because I dont know anyone with experience in this. 

Honored Contributor

@lynbeechwood

I have had this test. An ultrasound was needed to look for gall bladder issues. Only two doctors were certified to do this test in my large metroplex area. 

The first doctor was a no-go for me. After looking his qualifications on-line, it appeared that he had lost privileges at a hospital! After meeting with him, I am not surprised. I just knew he wasn't for me.

The second doctor had my vote. He did the test (I think I was asleep) and a minor "spot" showed which needed no further investigation.

The doctor carefully explained everything for me ahead of time. Good luck! Hopefully this is a nothing.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~