Honored Contributor

Re: happy housewife tell me more about the program you are doing

The diabetic who only limits his carb intake will woefully fail at managing the disease. There is a ton more to it. Limiting carbs and ALL FATS (there are no good fats in diabetes ) But you do have to eat some fats and carbs so they are limited not eliminated. Also - exercise - lots and lots of exercise. Good hygiene to avoid infections is also important, both personal hygiene and environmental hygiene.

Valued Contributor

On 4/17/2014 happy housewife said:

The diabetic who only limits his carb intake will woefully fail at managing the disease. There is a ton more to it. Limiting carbs and ALL FATS (there are no good fats in diabetes ) But you do have to eat some fats and carbs so they are limited not eliminated. Also - exercise - lots and lots of exercise. Good hygiene to avoid infections is also important, both personal hygiene and environmental hygiene.

Good information HH! I wish you good luck with your program. It sounds like you have done really well. I bet you feel good about your accomplishments!

Honored Contributor

On 4/17/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I would not trust an at home A1C test. If I am remembering correctly, HH is under the care of a physician and had her A1C test done through her doctor's office and came back as borderline diabetic.

I believe her goal was to lose weight because weight control is important in diabetes control so if she lost weight, she's hoping her numbers become better. I think it's important to have herself monitored again by her physician.

My DH is a full-on type 2 diabetic and he does have to watch his carb intake. Watching fats doesn't make a difference for him. If he eats a lot of carbs, his readings are high. He is monitored through his physician's office. He goes twice a year for an A1C test.

Every diabetic needs to seriously watch their fat intake. they are supposed to maintain a total cholesterol under 90 - you can't do that limiting only carbs. And a vast amount of the serious side effects of diabetes are caused by high cholesterol like heart disease, poor circulation top the extremities, and organ failures and strokes. they have to limit both to successfully manage their disease.

Fat has nothing to do with diabetes. You are talking about 2 separate issues. Not all diabetics have high cholesterol and not all people with high cholesterol are diabetic.

If you are diabetic only, watching fat isn't going to get your blood sugar levels under control.

Honored Contributor

On 4/21/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 4/17/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I would not trust an at home A1C test. If I am remembering correctly, HH is under the care of a physician and had her A1C test done through her doctor's office and came back as borderline diabetic.

I believe her goal was to lose weight because weight control is important in diabetes control so if she lost weight, she's hoping her numbers become better. I think it's important to have herself monitored again by her physician.

My DH is a full-on type 2 diabetic and he does have to watch his carb intake. Watching fats doesn't make a difference for him. If he eats a lot of carbs, his readings are high. He is monitored through his physician's office. He goes twice a year for an A1C test.

Every diabetic needs to seriously watch their fat intake. they are supposed to maintain a total cholesterol under 90 - you can't do that limiting only carbs. And a vast amount of the serious side effects of diabetes are caused by high cholesterol like heart disease, poor circulation top the extremities, and organ failures and strokes. they have to limit both to successfully manage their disease.

Fat has nothing to do with diabetes. You are talking about 2 separate issues. Not all diabetics have high cholesterol and not all people with high cholesterol are diabetic.

If you are diabetic only, watching fat isn't going to get your blood sugar levels under control.

YOU are the one who is uninformed- it is extremely important for diabetics to watch both their carb intake AND their fat intake.This disease for some reason causes fat to deposit even faster on the inside of the arteries and thus heart attacks, strokes and organ failure are more common for diabetics.

Honored Contributor

HH is correct......American Diabetes Organization supports the connection of Diabetes = Cholestrol

Cholesterol is also affected by blood pressure and blood glucose. If your blood glucose and blood pressure are high, your cholesterol numbers may be off as well.

For most people, here are the LDL, HDL and triglycerides numbers to aim for:

LDL Cholesterol: Less than 100 mg/dl
HDL Cholesterol: Higher than 40 mg/dl for men and 50 mg/dl for women is good, but an HDL 50 mg/dl or higher helps everyone lower their risk for heart disease.
Triglycerides: Less than 150 mg/dl

http://www.diabetes.org/are-you-at-risk/lower-your-risk/cholesterol.html

And yes.....fat has everything to do with diabetes. Any doctor saying otherwise? You're just keeping him & Big Pharma rich.