Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99  That sounds like a sign of diabetes. Was the metallic breath also  pallatable for him?

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady  no he did not smell it or have any kind of metallic taste in his mouth. He was just to the doc for a wellness check up and no diabetes. Like I said, the smell was just odd coming from his room at night and I really did think it was our stinky old cat. As soon as he started taking the Prednisone for the gout the smell went away.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

mine acts up when i have too much shellfish (which i LOVE), cocktails, and fried foods. it also occurs when i dont drink enough water to flush out the uric acid crystals.

i only take my medication when it flares up......not regularly

indomethacin 75mg twice a day.

This med is just an antiinflammatory. You need to be on allopurinal or some other drug that helps to clear the uric acid out of your system.

this works for me just fine. i dont need anything else when i have a flare up....especially when i drink a lot of water. i take it for about three days and then i am okay. the less medicine the better.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

lolakimono - Thanks for the information.

Last year on our cruise to Alaska, my husband thought he bumped his foot on the bed. But it hurt so much, he couldn't figure it out. But he pushed through and we did not miss a thing.

So when we got back, he went to the Doctor. The Doctor said it was gout. And told him to take over the counter pills for pain. With the many seafood buffets on the cruise. We thought that is what triggered the gout.

Well, the same time of year, this year, he had the same pain. Not nearly as bad but still painful. He was wondering if it was seasonal. Since twice he had the pain and both times it was near Memorial Day. And I can say we did not have any lavish seafood buffets this year.

Super Contributor

Can gout appear near your ankle bone? I got out of the car two days ago and stepped on the ground and had pain near my ankle bone. It is not excruciating, but it certainly is making it difficult to walk without a limp. For the life of me, I have no idea what i did! I will give it a few more days this week and then call the doctor. It is so weird...

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

mine acts up when i have too much shellfish (which i LOVE), cocktails, and fried foods. it also occurs when i dont drink enough water to flush out the uric acid crystals.

i only take my medication when it flares up......not regularly

indomethacin 75mg twice a day.

This med is just an antiinflammatory. You need to be on allopurinal or some other drug that helps to clear the uric acid out of your system.

this works for me just fine. i dont need anything else when i have a flare up....especially when i drink a lot of water. i take it for about three days and then i am okay. the less medicine the better.

But if uric acid is being deposited in your joints it is also being deposited in your organs - like your kidneys.That is WHY you need to be taking something to get rid of it.This is not a passive thing.Once kidneys & other vital organs  are damaged, you don't get a do over.

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Can gout appear near your ankle bone? I got out of the car two days ago and stepped on the ground and had pain near my ankle bone. It is not excruciating, but it certainly is making it difficult to walk without a limp. For the life of me, I have no idea what i did! I will give it a few more days this week and then call the doctor. It is so weird...

It can be any joint. I've never had it in the typical bunion area , mine is more over my instep and back to my ankle.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I did not read all the posts, but my husband had two bouts with gout(his big toe). The doc did not think it was diet related , he just stopped his Lasix and he has not had a gout attack for almost a year. Do any of you notice that your breath has an odd smell when you are brewing a gout attack? My husbands breath had a strange almost metallic smell for weeks before he had an attack. I thought it was the cat at first because the cat sleeps in his bedroom, but no it was my husband. We mentioned it to the doc and he said no one ever mentioned odd smelling breath as a symptom, but who knows. Anyway, no bad breath since his gout was resolved.

Interesting..... my doctor also swears that gout is not directly related to certain foods, and he’s rarely wrong (that’s why we go to him!). I’ve only had one attack, so I don’t know one way or another.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I did not read all the posts, but my husband had two bouts with gout(his big toe). The doc did not think it was diet related , he just stopped his Lasix and he has not had a gout attack for almost a year. Do any of you notice that your breath has an odd smell when you are brewing a gout attack? My husbands breath had a strange almost metallic smell for weeks before he had an attack. I thought it was the cat at first because the cat sleeps in his bedroom, but no it was my husband. We mentioned it to the doc and he said no one ever mentioned odd smelling breath as a symptom, but who knows. Anyway, no bad breath since his gout was resolved.

Interesting..... my doctor also swears that gout is not directly related to certain foods, and he’s rarely wrong (that’s why we go to him!). I’ve only had one attack, so I don’t know one way or another.

When a person takes certain diuretics their method of action is to eliminate sodium and thus water  but they have to replace that sodium with something else and that is uric acid. Thus over time the patient gerts a build up of uric acid in the body - and gets gout. In those cases the first thing is to stop giving the patient his diuretic. Gout is a symptom of a condition, not a condition on it's own.When a person has gout they need to look at why it occurs. yes, it can be diet - but not always.

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09 wrote:

yes @Shiloh09

that is where mine appears. it is usually an inflammation with some accompanying pain towards the outside of my feet, near where the ankle and foot meet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein