Honored Contributor

from my health ins. co. for getting a flu shot. They also give gift certificates for doing things like getting mammograms and colonoscopies, and other vaccinations. If your going to do those things anyway, it is certainly nice to be rewarded for taking care of your health. They were to various vendors - i chose Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

Re: free $25 gift certificate

Wow, how fantastic!  Our ins. does nothing. 

Happy spending !Smiley Wink

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

Good to see that some of the billions of dollars Medicare Advantage plans cost us taxpayers comes back to the "little people" instead of going into the pockets of the insurers.

Honored Contributor

Wellness not only is good for us - for our health - but it is much less expensive to pay for a flu shot and give an incentive to get one - than to pay for caring for someone with pneumonia from the flu. I'm certain insurance companies have studied this at length to figure out how to save costs.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

from my health ins. co. for getting a flu shot. They also give gift certificates for doing things like getting mammograms and colonoscopies, and other vaccinations. If your going to do those things anyway, it is certainly nice to be rewarded for taking care of your health. They were to various vendors - i chose Amazon.

That's a very nice incentive. I hope that you have fun, choosing something with your gift certificate, too! Cat Happy

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Wellness not only is good for us - for our health - but it is much less expensive to pay for a flu shot and give an incentive to get one - than to pay for caring for someone with pneumonia from the flu. I'm certain insurance companies have studied this at length to figure out how to save costs.

Oh, yes. Personally for me, I know how poorly I've felt those times when I've had the flu during my life. I really don't want to feel like that again, if I can help it. I'm also a high risk patient, too. 

Regular Contributor

My health insurance does something similiar.  However, the money is put into an account and is used to pay for copayments and dedutibles.   I can earn up to $500 dollars per benefit plan year for doing preventive screenings.   Some examples are mamogram earn $100, yearly preventive exam $100 also can earn $50 for eye doctor and $50 twice a year for dental visits.   There are many more ways to earn dollars.

Really came in handy a couple of weeks ago, needed blood work and paid nothing out of pocket.   You can also carry over any balances to the next benefit plan year.   I don't have copayments for doctors visits, they go towards my deductible so this really great.   If you don't need a lot of medical services, you can really not pay anything out of pocket.

Honored Contributor

It's no wonder our insurance premiums are so high, with insurers giving such payouts.

Honored Contributor

My husband's company gives us $1000 each yearly if we pass a *Biometric screening*.  You have to pass 3 of five of the qualifications.  Good blood pressure, good blood glucose, good cholestroral, good triglicerides and waist size (35"< women, 40 for men).

It goes in to a Mastercard that can be used for doctors visits, blood labs that may have a balance or any testing that you may have a balance, prescriptions and dental visits (!).

His $1000 and mine are combined and we can use each others, it doesn't go away if you don't use it all up.

When you reach 65, you can get the balance and it's simply money in your pocket.  That's the only time it's worth *cash in your hands*.

Honored Contributor

I think incentives are great and they get me off my butt.  Our fit bit gives us each $100 Whole Food gift cards for doing a million steps.  Sometimes I get that as early a May.

His health insurance supplied us with the Fit Bits.  If something happens to it or you lose it, they'll replace it once a year.  I still have the clip on one and he has the updated wrist band one.  I only tried his out to see how fast I had to walk to really get my heart rate up.  I'd have to pay for mine to get the wristband one, but I'm content with mine.