Honored Contributor

Re: ? for women whose partner had bypass surgery

@Kimby wrote:

My husband had a quadruple bypass 2 months ago.  He had his operation on a Friday and was home on Tuesday.  The next day he went out to lunch with his friends.  He had absolutely no pain and just followed exactly what the surgeon and Cardiologist told him to do.  I made sure he took his medication and ate many small meals.  Patients use lots of calories when they are recovering.  We started walking in our neighborhood as soon as he got home.  We do 2 miles everyday now.  He didn't have a heart attack before his surgery, but had 4 blockages.  His recovery has been amazing and he's doing great.  Oh, he's 71 years old.  

He must have had one of the new procedures where they don't cut the sternum, because I can't imagine anyone being out to lunch with friends less than a week later. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Zhills.  It is not my first storm, but it's always helpful to be prepared with an umbrella and really cute Wellies.

Esteemed Contributor

@meglet - My DH had unexpected triple bypass a couple of years ago. As soon as he got the OK in the hosp. I had him up and walking the floor doing laps, lol.

He did tire easily and would nod off and went to bed early at night. I also had him out and walking increasing the distance by a house or two every day (weather permitting). On bad days, I drove him over to the mall for his walk.

Watch for signs of depression and keep an open dialog with him as to how he is feeling, etc.

Hope all goes well. Riley1

Respected Contributor

Hi @meglet! Yes: depression is real. Awhile back, it was thought to be related to the actual bypass and the shock to the body....That's a plausible cause....

In 2015, I was critically ill-and I'm fine now, but I went through dark bouts of depression-and I still can't say exactly why....Perhaps it was a combination of things: you realize you are mortal. We know that intellectually, but it's different when you face it head on.

You feel that your body is betraying you....you worry about what the future holds: will there even be a future?

I am not the bread winner, but I can only imagine the stress they feel, worrying about those left behind.

It's a combination of so many things.

I finally had the sense to see a therapist in 2016 and work through some issues: I highly recommend supportive therapy and anti-depressants if needed.

It has to be a frightening time for the both of you.

Hugs and prayers,

Poodlepet2