Frequent Contributor

? for women whose partner had bypass surgery

My beloved is facing double bypass.  Tests to be done tomorrow to determine overall strategy and where to harvest the healthiest vein/artery from.

What are we looking at in terms of our relationship?  I can read about the physical parts of the recovery, but what else is there in terms of the emotional and relationship, i. e. how can I best help him and support him through procedure and recovery process? Anything that was surprising for you that I can kind of prepare myself for?

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions from those who have been through the procedure and those who have supported them.

Respected Contributor

Re: ? for women whose partner had bypass surgery

Depression is well-documented as a post-open possibility. When the patient is on bypass, an electrolyte solution is used: it used to be thought that depression was related.

It is absolutely a great idea to ask your husband's cardiologist about it-in front of your husband. It sounds like these days, they start you on them immediately-but ask.

Give your husband's cardiologist office a call: there is a very real possibility that his nurse can steer you towards support groups or answer your questions about what comes after surgery.

Its very possible that the hospital has support groups for cardiac patients and their families.

Have you looked at the American Heart Association or WebMD sites?

I know you are upset, but this is the time you need to treat yourself kindly: make sure you get your rest and make sure you eat well-decent meals-and not rely on vending machines.

You will probably be allowed to see him for a few minutes when he's in recovery: you might be upset....his color may be off a bit....and he may be on a ventilator. That's normal.

I am putting you on my prayer list....I know it's hard....Will you have anybody with you while you wait?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

QVC Customer Care

Contributor

My husband was about 60 when he had a quadruple by-pass. There was a brief break diwn of emotion prior to the surgery that we shared. But we had great faith on the hospital and the surgeon. He came home fell ng very well both physically and emotionally. I think the after care monitoring by the Visitng Nurse helped. It was not a stark realizaion that he was now on his own. He took his daily walks right away, adopted his new diet very well too. I thnk just feeling so mych better helped his emotional side. And I might add that not all surgeons employ exactly the same techniques. We were told that you could tell those who had this pricedure done b this hospital by how well they walked. They told us they handled the heart differently and we never asked forvdetails. Try concentrating on the improved health aspect and best wishes to you both. We are so fortunate that heart surgery has come so far, BTW, the American Heart Assoc. diet is easy to follow, not too restrictive, and actually made me feel 20 years younger.

Respected Contributor

My husband had quadruple bypass about 14 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long. Anyway I remember my experience with him. I will say everyone is different, but I will give you what I can.

One thing there will be good days and bad. The emotional ride can be a challenge. Mood swings from day to day, but those do dissipate after a few weeks. It's important to be there for him and he will appreciate all you do in the end. You need to be his coach and caregiver. My husband didn't want to do his exercises at home, but he finally realized if he wanted to get well, he better get on track. Diet is important, but the dietitian will go over with both of you in what to do. Depression can happen, and the doctor will watch for this and you will know best since you will be with him the most. Try not to take anything personal if he snaps or argues, just remember that has a lot to do with the surgery.

I am sure things have advanced since my DH had his surgery. He went home from the hospital on the 7th day. It will be ok, just think positive and take care of yourself too.

Occasional Contributor

My husband had a quadruple bypass 2 months ago.  He had his operation on a Friday and was home on Tuesday.  The next day he went out to lunch with his friends.  He had absolutely no pain and just followed exactly what the surgeon and Cardiologist told him to do.  I made sure he took his medication and ate many small meals.  Patients use lots of calories when they are recovering.  We started walking in our neighborhood as soon as he got home.  We do 2 miles everyday now.  He didn't have a heart attack before his surgery, but had 4 blockages.  His recovery has been amazing and he's doing great.  Oh, he's 71 years old.  

Honored Contributor

Image result for sending thoughts for surgery pics

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much for previewing my path.  I read that depression can be a side effect, but I didn't realize it was medication related.  I thought it was (sorry if I'm offending anyone) - a guy thing.  Mortality, maybe less able to do things than before.  Right now my sweetie has a great and positive attitude about Friday's surgery.  We've been through a lot of trials together and he has always kept his humor, so I hope that will be the case through the recovery process.

Esteemed Contributor

The storm is over.jpg

You both will think differently but that is OK.  Life has changed but not for the worse!  You have a second chance....make the most of it!

Honored Contributor

He shouldn't be required to do less things than before once he's healed from the surgery, unless your cardiothoracic surgeon or cardiologist say otherwise and that would likely be unrelated to the surgery itself. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval