Respected Contributor

Re: finding a doctor to treat depression

Again, @hckynut Thank You for the great information and your experiences with this problem. Mental illness is very complicated and I agree, you can't get all the answers on the internet.  If I do have a question I usually go to the Mayo Clinic site to get some beginning information.

Our son is having a rough time, but like you said his optimism and courage  and his knowing that this is going to take some time (patience), is what will get him through this.This just didn't happen over night for him and it's going to take it's course. The thing that is getting our family through this is knowing he's in the best place possible with his doctor's there to help him. 

I have faith that he will get through to the end of this tunnel and will be a stronger person for it. Amen!

Leeny

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Leeny  @hckynut

All I can say is that I would not put my complete trust in these doctors.  I've been given some very bad advice, and had some very bad experiences with psychiatrists over the years.  

I had a psychiatrist when I was fifteen who worked with adolescent patients with eating disorders in a hospital setting.  But I saw her in her office, outside of the hospital, for depression and anxiety.  She saw me regularly.  During my sessions, I told her how much trouble I had eating and that it was an ongoing problem.

She watched me lose 25% of my body weight inside of 3 or 4 months, and she didn't even bother to do an assessment.  She did nothing.  In fact, she did worse than nothing; she told my mother that I didn't have an eating disorder.  My primary care physician said it wasn't a physical problem and he also said it wasn't an eating disorder either (?!?!).  Based on their opinions, my mother gave up looking for answers for me.  

So I suffered and suffered until I finally gave my mother an ultimatum.  I calmly told her that I could not deal with the near-constant nausea, the leg pains, the weakness, the heart palpitations, etc.  (I was born with a heart problem, so my doctors' neglect was even more dangerous than it would be for most).  Then I told her that if she didn't get me help right then, I was going to take my own life.  I knew it was the only way I could get help short of calling the authorities, and to be honest, I was almost ready to take that step.  

She looked in the phone book, got on the phone, and within 20 minutes, I had an appointment set up to be assessed for an eating disorder at a clinic.  This could've been done by my psychiatrist, but she didn't do it (or give me a referral).  I was diagnosed with an eating disorder and got help, but it wasn't because of my psychiatrist.

After that I changed psychiatrists.  This one--when I asked for a referral for a counselor--refused to give me one and insisted that medication was all I needed.  I needed to continue counseling for my eating disorder and anxiety, but she felt that drugging me was sufficient, and I think she had a high opinion of herself and thought that she was enough of a counselor to meet my needs.  She wasn't.

Along the way I've had several psychiatrists who pretended to be counselors (even one who thought that yelling at me was good counseling), but most of them are not qualified to do it, as many are just M.D.s and have little education in counseling, but it doesn't stop them from pretending they know more than they do. 

My current psychiatrist wanted me to come off of Cymbalta over a span of 10 days.  But even the FDA warns against a fast withdrawal from this medication.  Before that, he wanted to put me on either Abilify or Risperdal, but when I asked questions about the side effects, he casually told me that if I didn't like the side effects I could stop the medication.  

I pressed him for more info, and didn't get any, so I went online and found out what the potential side effects are.  The info I gathered helped me reach the decision that these types of medications are something I do not want to try if I can avoid them.  I'm also glad I didn't blindly trust him because if he didn't even know that you're not supposed to come off of Cymbalta in only 10 days, then how can I possibly have blind confidence in his judgment regarding other medications?

So I've learned from experience that you cannot take your psychiatrist's advice as gospel.  There will be times when you must do extra research in order to ensure good care.  I've found this to be the case for a lot of things in life, so I'm not saying it's just psychiatrists.  I'm just saying that we have to be our own advocates, because these people don't always care or know what they're doing.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Leeny  @hckynut

All I can say is that I would not put my complete trust in these doctors.  I've been given some very bad advice, and had some very bad experiences with psychiatrists over the years.  

I had a psychiatrist when I was fifteen who worked with adolescent patients with eating disorders in a hospital setting.  But I saw her in her office, outside of the hospital, for depression and anxiety.  She saw me regularly.  During my sessions, I told her how much trouble I had eating and that it was an ongoing problem.

She watched me lose 25% of my body weight inside of 3 or 4 months, and she didn't even bother to do an assessment.  She did nothing.  In fact, she did worse than nothing; she told my mother that I didn't have an eating disorder.  My primary care physician said it wasn't a physical problem and he also said it wasn't an eating disorder either (?!?!).  Based on their opinions, my mother gave up looking for answers for me.  

So I suffered and suffered until I finally gave my mother an ultimatum.  I calmly told her that I could not deal with the near-constant nausea, the leg pains, the weakness, the heart palpitations, etc.  (I was born with a heart problem, so my doctors' neglect was even more dangerous than it would be for most).  Then I told her that if she didn't get me help right then, I was going to take my own life.  I knew it was the only way I could get help short of calling the authorities, and to be honest, I was almost ready to take that step.  

She looked in the phone book, got on the phone, and within 20 minutes, I had an appointment set up to be assessed for an eating disorder at a clinic.  This could've been done by my psychiatrist, but she didn't do it (or give me a referral).  I was diagnosed with an eating disorder and got help, but it wasn't because of my psychiatrist.

After that I changed psychiatrists.  This one--when I asked for a referral for a counselor--refused to give me one and insisted that medication was all I needed.  I needed to continue counseling for my eating disorder and anxiety, but she felt that drugging me was sufficient, and I think she had a high opinion of herself and thought that she was enough of a counselor to meet my needs.  She wasn't.

Along the way I've had several psychiatrists who pretended to be counselors (even one who thought that yelling at me was good counseling), but most of them are not qualified to do it, as many are just M.D.s and have little education in counseling, but it doesn't stop them from pretending they know more than they do. 

My current psychiatrist wanted me to come off of Cymbalta over a span of 10 days.  But even the FDA warns against a fast withdrawal from this medication.  Before that, he wanted to put me on either Abilify or Risperdal, but when I asked questions about the side effects, he casually told me that if I didn't like the side effects I could stop the medication.  

I pressed him for more info, and didn't get any, so I went online and found out what the potential side effects are.  The info I gathered helped me reach the decision that these types of medications are something I do not want to try if I can avoid them.  I'm also glad I didn't blindly trust him because if he didn't even know that you're not supposed to come off of Cymbalta in only 10 days, then how can I possibly have blind confidence in his judgment regarding other medications?

So I've learned from experience that you cannot take your psychiatrist's advice as gospel.  There will be times when you must do extra research in order to ensure good care.  I've found this to be the case for a lot of things in life, so I'm not saying it's just psychiatrists.  I'm just saying that we have to be our own advocates, because these people don't always care or know what they're doing.

@hckynut  Yes, this is my reply.  I noticed you broke a section of it into smaller paragraphs, but did not reply.  Are you just trying to tell me that I didn't use paragraphs properly, or...??

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks for your reply.  I have been a TYPE A all my life.  I have always been full of anxiety... period.  It actually works for me as well as against me as long as I see it that way.  As a child I stuttered badly and had very little or no friends all through elementary school.  Girls did not take to me, boys were kinder and less harsh.  One day and one teacher changed my life.  Can you imagine a teacher PICKING ME TO GIVE A SPEECH IN FRONT OF AN ENTIRE AUDITORIUM.  Well I was the one selected.  I was in 6th grade.  And her trust in me literally cured my stuttering (on the outside) forever.  And that moment made ME WANT TO BE A TEACHER to GIVE BACK.  And that is what I did... 30 years of being THERE for the kids in need.  And over the years I have become a chatterbox, and one who finds someone to talk to.  Because there is one lesson I found out..... EVERYONE OUT THERE has something that scares them, makes them afraid or uneasy so I am never really alone or that different and it has become my mission to BE THERE and  make them feel really good if only for a moment in time. 

Esteemed Contributor

Another quick comment.  Square dancing is truly FRIENDSHIP SET TO MUSIC.  It is both physically and mentally a gift.  My daughters gave us a 50th Anniversary party a year ago and asked us to INVITE OUR FRIENDS.  I hesitated on that one.  I said, "are you sure."  Okay... the list had 500 names.  They said your friends, mom???  And I said YES.  Well we did shave off a few LOL but in truth, YES, friends, all of them. 

So not trying to advertise or anything like that but Google Square Dancing and look for clubs near you.  Don't worry about two left feet either. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

@Annabellethecat66

@mistriTsquirrel .

@jaxs mom And to anyone else I missed,

Good morning to you all,

I just want to give you an update on my son. He didn't feel 

good yesterday, but I got an email this morning and he's 

feeling a bit better today. I was so relieved to hear from him.

He said, he is probably going to go home on Monday.

Your prediction @hckynut  was pretty darn accurate.

I am checking to see if he can have any visitors.

I know there are many restrictions, so I am being a bit 

cautious in my hoping to see him this weekend. 

Again, Thanks Everyone for all your thoughts and posts and

prayers.

Leeny

Honored Contributor

@Leeny I'm glad you heard from him and that he should be able to go home soon. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Leeny

Will just address visitors during my hospital stay, and touch on the steps taken in the Hospital Ward where I spent my 7+ days.

They removed everything that was metal/there were no soap trays in the showers/all eating utinsils were plastic and paper plates/only paper towels/nothing had a cord or strings and nothing available contained caffeine. Any and everything that could be used to harm yourself was removed, and were told to mix with others, not be alone in any room.

My wife was the only visitor allowed, she is the only one i wanted to see anyway. She had to submit to a personal search, more complete than a TSA check. They checked every item in her purse ans asked her several personal questions. She was allowed to visit only twice after my admission, once to take me home. These are most of what I can remember as this was in the mid 1990's.

Happy your son is feeling better today. My experiences varied during every day. Feeling real good at times, and very down at times, which could vary by the minutes or hour. Took some time to be stabilized feeling good for longer periods of time.

I hope you are allowed to visit as I believe it would benefit your son, and of course yourself. Give your son my best wishes and to keep the faith that it will get better.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@hckynut and @Annabellethecat66

Since I have had posts from both of you and I seen this thread, I wanted to share this with you two. 

Little did I know how close this was going to hit home with me yesterday.Our eldest son called us and told us he had admitted himself into the hospital for his depression.

I knew he was being treated for depression, but I had no idea how severe it was. He has major depression and on Sunday he said his head felt like it was going to blow.

I am so thankful that he had good sense to get over to ER. I believe his medications need to be reviewed as he is on 4 different kinds. I don't know the names. He has a team of psychiatrists and his medical team ( he has diabetes also) which I know can play into this too. They feel he will be in the hospital at least a week.

I know he's in the best place to get help.

I would appreciate your prayers and any encouragement. He also stated to me and his dad that the doctors have told him this is genetic,he's been on meds. for 7 years. I had no idea just how severe this was for him. He is one that doesn't share everything with us. So I felt by him calling yesterday that this was a step in the right direction along with getting admitted into one of the best hospitals in the country. Thanks for being here for me to reach out to.

Leeny

I noticed your son has diabetes. More diabetics suffer from depression than any other group. Almost 50 years of it and when my blood sugars are running high, I feel extremely down. Has your son been in good control of his diabetes? It should definitely be addressed because high blood sugars really affect a person's psyche. 

He he is so lucky to have you as his advocate @Leeny. My best to you as one mom to another. I hope your son's health is restored quickly...

Trusted Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Leeny  @hckynut

I had a psychiatrist when I was fifteen who worked with adolescent patients with eating disorders in a hospital setting.  But I saw her in her office, outside of the hospital, for depression and anxiety.  She saw me regularly.  During my sessions, I told her how much trouble I had eating and that it was an ongoing problem.  She watched me lose 25% of my body weight inside of 3 or 4 months, and she didn't even bother to do an assessment.  She did nothing.  In fact, she did worse than nothing; she told my mother that I didn't have an eating disorder.  My primary care physician said it wasn't a physical problem and he also said it wasn't an eating disorder either (?!?!).  Based on their opinions, my mother gave up looking for answers for me.  So I suffered and suffered until I finally gave my mother an ultimatum.  I calmly told her that I could not deal with the near-constant nausea, the leg pains, the weakness, the heart palpitations, etc.  (I was born with a heart problem, so my doctors' neglect was even more dangerous than it would be for most).  Then I told her that if she didn't get me help right then, I was going to take my own life.  I knew it was the only way I could get help short of calling the authorities, and to be honest, I was almost ready to take that step.  She looked in the phone book, got on the phone, and within 20 minutes, I had an appointment set up to be assessed for an eating disorder at a clinic.  This could've been done by my psychiatrist, but she didn't do it (or give me a referral).  I was diagnosed with an eating disorder and got help, but it wasn't because of my psychiatrist.

My current psychiatrist wanted me to come off of Cymbalta over a span of 10 days.  But even the FDA warns against a fast withdrawal from this medication.  Before that, he wanted to put me on either Abilify or Risperdal, but when I asked questions about the side effects, he casually told me that if I didn't like the side effects I could stop the medication.  I pressed him for more info, and didn't get any, so I went online and found out what the potential side effects are.  The info I gathered helped me reach the decision that these types of medications are something I do not want to try if I can avoid them.  I'm also glad I didn't blindly trust him because if he didn't even know that you're not supposed to come off of Cymbalta in only 10 days, then how can I possibly have blind confidence in his judgment regarding other medications?

@mistriTsquirrel  I completely agree with you and see that you have been through a huge amount.  We've briefly chatted before but I see your story is even more complicated and difficult than what you can fully tell. I am genuinely very sorry for what you've had to go through. 

I don't trust most doctors. It's because of so many bad experiences, for myself and with my family members. I'm at a crossroads and I'm in the process of researching for myself. And I'm praying for answers. But I really get what you mean about researching. I feel I have to.