Esteemed Contributor

Re: finding a doctor to treat depression

@Katcat1 wrote:

Zoloft is an old antidepressant.  There are newer ones out that work much better. 

Not necessarily.  For some people SSRIs work better than anything.  Others require the "old" tricyclics or MAOIs to feel relief.  How one reacts to a medication is highly individual, and the fact that there are newer meds out there doesn't make Zoloft a bad choice.

To be honest, if you can get away with NOT taking some of the SNRIs (which are newer), it's not a bad thing, IMO.  They can be very hard to adjust to and very hard to come off of.  In my experience, if you forget to take your dose for two days, you start to feel ill.  It's kind of like being a drug addict, except that you don't get high, you just feel like a zombie.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, as I've not read through the whole thread, but there are genetic tests available that are supposed to help narrow down which anti-depressants a person will respond best to.  That's something you may want to look into. 

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

Thank you @hckynut ( john)

You don't know what this meant to me for you say these things. It's hard as a mother and dad to see your kids suffer in anyway, but depression is something else.

I guess because, we can't fix it. As a mom we always think we can fix our children's problems, but this is one I can't. 

He sent us a short email this morning that he is doing ok, so far and that they have taken one of his meds away from him. 

His Dad and I are so grateful in so many ways that he took the courage to get himself this help he needs. 

Being he is our first born and to see him hurting like this is so hard, but we know he has a strong faith and family that will support him in all we can do.

Thanks Again @hckynut

@Leeny  I am crying reading your post.  Your son is so lucky to have such caring parents.  

When you struggle with depression, it can be very hard to find people who care enough to try to understand how you feel.  

My best to you and your family, Leeny.  Heart

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl @Leeny

@honeybuns ... I think a family doctor is a good place to start if you have never been diagnosed with depression. They can do a depression screening, but finding the right antidepressant can be very complicated. Often it takes a combination of meds. That is where the psychiatrist comes in.

There seems to be a shortage of psychiatrists in most cities these days. I know that is the case around here. One of my sisters is a psych nurse, and she said it is the same where she lives. Apparently, people are not going into the profession because reimbursement from insurances and Medicare is so low.

I'm so happy to hear that your son was intelligent and mature enough to admit himself into a psych unit, @Leeny. It bothers me when people think there is something weird about people who need psychiatric help. The first step in treatment is acknowledging that you need it.

Our bodies produce many different types of chemical messengers and hormones that help us function. Why should it be ok to need medications like insulin or thyroid, but stay away from the person needing neurotransmitters (antidepressants)? There is still that stigma about having psychiatric problems...which are usually chemical problems. Yes, it is usually genetic.

In our family, almost everyone (including myself) are on antidepressants. There is no shame in it. Is there shame in needing insulin for diabetes? The ones who should be ashamed are the ones who self-medicate with illegal drugs or alcohol to cope with life rather than get the professional treatment they need.

Thank God people like Prince Harry are coming forward and admitting to having needed psychiatric treatment themselves. Everyone needs psych treatment at some point in their life. You have to wonder why some people deny it when it is usually so obvious to everyone around them.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I don't think a family Dr is the best choice as a first step. I've had experience twice where I went to a regular GP when I had been feeling really sad and didn't know why. Both times they automatically wanted to put me on meds. Both times I realized after I left that I was dealing with a loss anniversary so I never filled the rx's and dealt with it fine without medication once I realized what the issue was. If I'd actually gone to a psychologist first, their first step would not have been to just start medication. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

I don't think a family Dr is the best choice as a first step. I've had experience twice where I went to a regular GP when I had been feeling really sad and didn't know why. Both times they automatically wanted to put me on meds. Both times I realized after I left that I was dealing with a loss anniversary so I never filled the rx's and dealt with it fine without medication once I realized what the issue was. If I'd actually gone to a psychologist first, their first step would not have been to just start medication. 

@JaxsMom ... The family doctor is just supposed to do a depression screening and then refer you for treatment if s/he determines that it is needed. A psychologist or psychiatrist can then determine if you are just having situational depression (such as a loss anniversary would be) or if you have a chemical imbalance and need meds. Some family doctors like to take on the role of the psychiatrist and prescribe meds also. I would never let a family doctor prescribe psych meds for me.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@YardlieThank You for posting. It's a difficult thing to come to terms with at first, but now that I know my son was Strong enough to admit himself to get the help he needs I realize he is actually stronger than his mother (me). 

We are now waiting and praying that the team of doctors wil be ablel  to find that right combination of meds to help him. They have already taken one of them away. He's having a rough time of it, but I know he will get through this. 

Thanks again for your kind words.

Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel

Thank You for your kind words. This is a hard thing to go through for him and his family, but I know he's in the best hospital for this. He is having a hard day today due to coming off one of the meds. I do not know the name of it, but at least they are there for him at the hospital to take care of him during this rough time.

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom

Thank You for all the thoughts and prayers @jaxs mom

It's been a tough day for our son, but like I have said before he's in the best hospital 

to get through this right now. He's coming off one of his medications today and I

know that is a tough ride to go through. Again, Thank You for your prayers.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35

T\hank you for the suggestion. My son has several different team of doctors treating

him. Medical team, Diabetic team, psychiatrists, psychologists. He sees his Primary

regularly and i know he's been checked on for some of the things you have 

mentioned.  I am sure he will get a thorough going over while he's there. I am just 

thankful he knew enough to admit himself to get the help he needs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@JaxsMom ... The family doctor is just supposed to do a depression screening and then refer you for treatment if s/he determines that it is needed. A psychologist or psychiatrist can then determine if you are just having situational depression (such as a loss anniversary would be) or if you have a chemical imbalance and need meds. Some family doctors like to take on the role of the psychiatrist and prescribe meds also. I would never let a family doctor prescribe psych meds for me.

"Supposed to" being the operative word here. So far, I've yet to see a FP or GP not just rx meds and send you on your merry way and I'm not referring to just my personal experience. Plus I wouldn't rely on a GP or give me a referral to a psychologist and I don't need a referral to see one with my insurance. There are many different specialties in psychology and you need someone that you have a personal rapport with. When a psychiatrist was actually needed, psychologists can give referrals if you don't know who to go to. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval