Super Contributor

Has anyone had an elevation in their levels after menapause?  Mine came back with some elevation and doctor recommended follow-up with hematologist.  All other levels normal.. just new to me and I'd be interested in hearing others' experience. thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@tessam 

Mine just came back as too low, even though I'm not anemic and have no other issues. Just started an iron supplement.

Trusted Contributor

@tessam I fight with restless legs regularly & have found that when my ferritin levels are low that increases my restless legs symptoms.  Sorry I can't speak to high ferritin levels but hope you find relief.

Honored Contributor

My CBCs have all been normal so there is no need for a ferritin level checked. Ferritin levels are not usually checked unless there are low counts found in the CBC.

Super Contributor

they actually do recommend checking them post menopause.  Mine were not low but instead slightly elevated.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

My CBC was normal, but I was experiencing some hair loss and diminished energy, so my doc checked, among other things, ferritin.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@SilleeMee 

My CBC was normal, but I was experiencing some hair loss and diminished energy, so my doc checked, among other things, ferritin.

@Sammycat1 

Did your doctor say why your ferritin was low?

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee 

There are several reasons that, taken together, have contributed to it. I'd rather not get into specifics, but I have to be followed closely--as does anyone on an iron supplement--so it doesn't push me too far in the other direction. Blood test every 6 months unless other symptoms arise.

My doctor believes eventually we'll correct it primarily through diet and some other changes. As he said, the important thing is to jump on it before it progresses to anemia.

Honored Contributor

@tessam 

Can't address your high levels of Ferritin(a male here), but! I am way too familiar with Low Ferritin levels. When my level gets below 30ng/mL? I have to go in for an Iron Infusion, which is usually a 6 hour or more procedure. 

At this point since 2008 I have had well over the 30 Infusions.These blood readings and Infusions are all prescribed by my Hematologist. My Hemoglobin at 15.2(Hgb)  Iron level were good, but this had no bearing on my Ferritin level.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@tessam If you levels are high, try donating blood on a regular basis.  I am not in the medical field but have read about it since my DH's levels are high.