Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I had an Uncle who died young from cirrhosis of the liver from being starved in a Japanese POW camp during WW11. Another friend who died from cirrhosis of the liver from chemicals he used as a grounds keeper at a golf course all his life. He also had bad neuropathy from those chemicals.

When I had my kidney cancer the doctors kept telling me it was from smoking - yet I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.I kept saying I wasn't a smoker or around any second hand smoke, and they kept telling me over and over I had to quit smoking. I am an asthmatic and I have never smoked. I finally got tired of telling them as they didn't believe me anyway.

So my point is - life causes things like cancer - and you can't totally avoid the things that are out there that lead to it -- but you can drive yourself crazy trying to. Eventually we all have to die from something. I prefer to enjoy my life and live it well without all the angst. My parents didn't smoke or drink or much of anything else bad for them and they were killed by a drunk driver at ages 67 and 72.

I'm confused.  Following is the story you gave about your Mom's death:

@151949 wrote:

My parents had gotten married in the middle of WW11 and did not have a wedding so for their 50th we were going to give them a wedding reception. We had a fire hall, a 40's swing band and a caterer. My Mom got a new dress that was probably the most expensive and prettiest dress she had ever owned, my Dad got a new suit. He bought my Mom a new diamond ring too, but she didn't know it. Sadly - 3 months before the big event my Mom suddenly passed away. Anyway, I say go for the big party. it's a once in a lifetime event - enjoy it. Congratulations.

Honored Contributor

I was told not to drink during chemo, but nothing was said after chemo ended.

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

You do  not have to go  to the extreme of being an alcoholic to have alcohol  pickle your liver or lead to cancer.  

Your source of this information? 

Alcohol is loaded with sugar so it's not just the alcohol that causes havoc in the body.

The liver and pancreas work overtime to balance insulin and sugar and cleanse the blood. Whilenot everyone with liver or pancreatic cancer is an alcoholic, most are.

Ask most any drinking alcoholic if they have a problem and they'll tell you no. It's not a problem for them but a problem for their spouse, children, employer, the police, the courts and the family budget.

Alcohol is NOT loaded with sugar.  Sugar is lost in the distilling process for alcohol like rum, vodka, and gin.  All the stuff people mix it with, like fruit juices etc are what contains the sugar in drinks.  Liqueurs contain sugar because of the fruits/spices that are added.  

Honored Contributor

Re: drinks and cancer

[ Edited ]

@fortune wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I had an Uncle who died young from cirrhosis of the liver from being starved in a Japanese POW camp during WW11. Another friend who died from cirrhosis of the liver from chemicals he used as a grounds keeper at a golf course all his life. He also had bad neuropathy from those chemicals.

When I had my kidney cancer the doctors kept telling me it was from smoking - yet I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.I kept saying I wasn't a smoker or around any second hand smoke, and they kept telling me over and over I had to quit smoking. I am an asthmatic and I have never smoked. I finally got tired of telling them as they didn't believe me anyway.

So my point is - life causes things like cancer - and you can't totally avoid the things that are out there that lead to it -- but you can drive yourself crazy trying to. Eventually we all have to die from something. I prefer to enjoy my life and live it well without all the angst. My parents didn't smoke or drink or much of anything else bad for them and they were killed by a drunk driver at ages 67 and 72.

I'm confused.  Following is the story you gave about your Mom's death:

@151949 wrote:

My parents had gotten married in the middle of WW11 and did not have a wedding so for their 50th we were going to give them a wedding reception. We had a fire hall, a 40's swing band and a caterer. My Mom got a new dress that was probably the most expensive and prettiest dress she had ever owned, my Dad got a new suit. He bought my Mom a new diamond ring too, but she didn't know it. Sadly - 3 months before the big event my Mom suddenly passed away. Anyway, I say go for the big party. it's a once in a lifetime event - enjoy it. Congratulations.

\

My parents were hit by a drunk and high driver- my Mom died immediately and my Dad shortly after from his injuries. Not that I owe you or anyone else here any explantion.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

There is a big difference in being an alcoholic and having occasional drinks.  I've never heard of being told to not drink unless pregnant.

I agree - people on this board always assume everything is to the extreme.

Your Dr. will advise you not to drink for many reasons besides being pregnant. Alcohol counter interacts with medications.

Honored Contributor

@zelda girl wrote:

My mother died from a tumor in her neck that was caused by whiskey. She had a bad drinking problem in her younger days and as she aged  it grew and caused all kinds of cancers to form in her body besides the tumor.

@zelda girl  How could the medical profession know that a tumor was caused specifically by whiskey?

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

You do  not have to go  to the extreme of being an alcoholic to have alcohol  pickle your liver or lead to cancer.  

Your source of this information? 

Alcohol is loaded with sugar so it's not just the alcohol that causes havoc in the body.

The liver and pancreas work overtime to balance insulin and sugar and cleanse the blood. Whilenot everyone with liver or pancreatic cancer is an alcoholic, most are.

Ask most any drinking alcoholic if they have a problem and they'll tell you no. It's not a problem for them but a problem for their spouse, children, employer, the police, the courts and the family budget.

@Snowpuppy  I have always heard that it is sugar that promotes cancer growth.

Honored Contributor

Curious as to why this thread has no mention of the EXTENSIVE research regarding very moderate alcohol use among post menopausal women.

Honored Contributor

There is plenty of data showing 4 ounces of wine a day is good for one.

The "problem" is that most don't consume 4 ounces.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Re: drinks and cancer

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

There is plenty of data showing 4 ounces of wine a day is good for one.

The "problem" is that most don't consume 4 ounces.

Right to both comments!