Respected Contributor

Re: do i need a vitamix to start my new year new me plan?

Some questions to ask yourself before buying. Do you eat food and drinks that require a blender? Do you already have a blender? Do you prepare a lot of food and drinks in a blender now? If you use one a lot already and it needs replacing it would be a good purchase.

Honored Contributor

I've had mine since the Oct TSV. I love it! It was a real investment for me but I feel so much better when I clean up my diet which is tough for me because I am a picky eater. I use it just about every day. It's really pefect for singles too. No wasting food or messing up pots for such a little bit of food. It cleans up just like they say it does. My advice is that if you are someone who is not going to eat or cook sautéed vegetables or can't stand pulp or grit in your drinks, it's for you. I have used it to make banana bread, apple pancakes, soup which is delicious, smoothies...and when the weather warms I can't wait to try ice cream. It's the best thing I ever did for myself as it took care of turning real food into dishes and drinks that I will now eat. And after a few months, my body and I have really noticed the switch to real ingredients.
Regular Contributor

I no longer have vegetable/ fruit waste either. I have unpeeled my bananas and put in freezer for future smoothies and the Vitamix just blends them down easily. No fruits and veggies go bad anymore with the Vitamix. I'm really lazy when it comes to cleaning but with the Vitamix just rinsing cleans it. I also fill it with water and a drop of soap and turn it on after placing the lid and it cleans itself. It's the best.
Honored Contributor

I would start with a small version first before spending hundreds of dollars on a big Vitamix. I have a 33 year old VM from my mom that still does the work and I got a Nutribullet pro 900 for Xmas that does the same thing only in a smaller size and of course it was $100. I use both of them mainly for smoothies and both do a great job, the bullet does better I think, due to the age of my VM. I have yet to try soups or ice cream in the VM and the bullet can't do that. I have ground grain for flour and made pnut butter in the VM. But those aren't my main things that I use it for. I use it for my super green smoothie every morning and will make one for my lunch. I would love to have a brand new VM !!!! You really need to figure out what you want it for.

Honored Contributor

No, you don't need one but it might be motivating & fun, not to mention great tasting!

I don't have kitchen counter space to speak of so I avoid presentations on it. I'll eventually move to a place with a real kitchen & then I'll probably invest in one.

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 Iwantcoffee said:

Some questions to ask yourself before buying. Do you eat food and drinks that require a blender? Do you already have a blender? Do you prepare a lot of food and drinks in a blender now? If you use one a lot already and it needs replacing it would be a good purchase.

I had various blenders (including the expensive ones) for 35 years before I bought a VitaMix. I rarely used them, but I use the VM all the time. I chop some things in it, sometimes make slaw using the water method, make salad dressings, and make purees for a lot of things--all in addition to the smoothies and soups (I nuke the soup mix in the microwave and chop, blend or puree the veggies in the VM then--it is quicker and I like the "cooked" taste better).

Respected Contributor

Ninjas are good too--I have one and it does everything too

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on what type of food you are planning to eat for a new you. I have the 2 speed Vitamix sitting on a shelf in my basement. It turns everything into a liquid, it doesn't chop anything...even on low speed using pulse.

If I was into smoothies or shakes, it would be terrific. I like to eat food, not drink it, so it doesn't work well for me. I am not into liquid soups either. I like chunky better.

My Kitchen Aid food processor is better for me. I chop and slice veggies everyday in mine. It is fast and everything is colorful and not mushy.

I have to admit my Vitamix was appreciated when I had a couple of bushels of tomatoes this past summer. I just cut off the stem and put them in whole. It was so easy for me to can and freeze the tomato purree.

Good luck.