Honored Contributor

Re: diet during pregnancy

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Wanted to circle back...I’m so happy you mentioned having a

healthy gut in your previous posts throughout the year. 

Maybe it’s the “Buy A Red Car; Now See Red Cars Everywhere’

syndrome, but I’m seeing a tons of information about the

importance of gut flora everywhere.

Glad all those little bacteria are getting their day in the sun. 

We have so much control over our well-being w/ just 

nutrition and lifestyle. 

So important...especially to an unborn.

@sidsmom

From all I have read on the subject (and there is SO much more to read about it!), scientists see the gut microbiome as being KEY to health in so many ways.

It appears that if a baby does not start out life with the HUGE spectrum of gut bacteria that it can be a lifelong struggle to build it.  And perhaps impossible, no matter how hard we work at it with diet and lifestyle attention.

I was first exposed to the importance of this in horses, when I worked with mares and foals, and the babies who did not receive the mare's colostrum did not fare well. There was a bank set up to collect colostrum for those foals who didn't get it from their mothers.   I did not make the human connection then, but I do now.

Honored Contributor
@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

nutrition and lifestyle. 

@sidsmom

From all I have read on the subject (and there is SO much more to read about it!), scientists see the gut microbiome as being KEY to health in so many ways.

It appears that if a baby does not start out life with the HUGE spectrum of gut bacteria that it can be a lifestrong struggle to build it.  And perhaps impossible, no matter how hard we work at it with diet and lifestyle attention.

I was first exposed to the importance of this in horses, when I worked with mare and foals, and the babies who did not receive the mare's colostrum, did not fare well.  I did not make the human connection then, but I do now.

@QueenDanceALot

Wow...animal husbandry would be an excellent way to see the

importance of healthy gut bacteria play out.

There was a webinar series 5-6 yrs ago when Dr. Rosane Oliveira

explained about the gut bacteria in rats. Thin rats placed in cages

of obese rats...and the thin rats became obese by eating the 

excrement of the obese rats. Dietary means unchanged.

Amazing to see the importance of gut bacteria...now in humans.

It’s the next wave of health! Especially for unborn!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:
@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

nutrition and lifestyle. 

@sidsmom

It appears that if a baby does not start out life with the HUGE spectrum of gut bacteria that it can be a lifestrong struggle to build it.  And perhaps impossible, no matter how hard we work at it with diet and lifestyle attention.

I was first exposed to the importance of this in horses, when I worked with mare and foals, and the babies who did not receive the mare's colostrum, did not fare well.  I did not make the human connection then, but I do now.

@QueenDanceALot

Wow...animal husbandry would be an excellent way to see the

importance of healthy gut bacteria play out.

There was a webinar series 5-6 yrs ago when Dr. Rosane Oliveira

explained about the gut bacteria in rats. Thin rats placed in cages

of obese rats...and the thin rats became obese by eating the 

excrement of the obese rats. Dietary means unchanged.

Amazing to see the importance of gut bacteria...now in humans.

It’s the next wave of health! Especially for unborn!

@sidsmom

I was talking to an old friend today and the subject came up of the gut microbiome as I have been talking to him about it from time to time for many months.  He told me that he saw a segment on a news program about fecal therapy for humans, and a story about a woman who was being given oral fecal therapy for her health issues and how she is doing so well now.

I have heard about the fecal transplant therapy, but didn't know about the oral therapy.  

This is an exploding area of medicine/immunotherapy.

Trusted Contributor

This topic is a loaded question.  It seems when you are pregnant everyone has advice for you.

I remember the Dr reading me the medical guidelines and shaking her head while she did.  At the end she said women have been having babies for thousands of years.  Eat smart.  Some of the advice such as avoiding lunch meat are ridiculous.  I had to laugh one day when I heard a lady at the deli counter in an upscale grocery store say she couldn't try lunch meat becasue she was pregnant.  If you know where you are buying your food you are fine.  

Honored Contributor

Eating lunch meat (processed meat), which is classified

as a carcinogen by the World Health Organization,

is right up there with smoking & drinking while pregnant.

Same-same.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: diet during pregnancy

[ Edited ]

Everybody has an opinion on what women should do when they are expecting & after they deliver.I remember when I first became pregnant over 27 yrs ago.My doctor told me to gain 30-35 lbs.I’m 5 ft tall no way was I going to gain that much weight.

I gained 16 lbs & I had a perfectly healthy baby.At the time I also had a fight with a couple of my cousins who insisted that I breastfeed.They insisted that I would never bond with my child if I didn’t. In addition they said my child would be sick all the time if I didn’t breastfeed.

Well I chose not to breastfeed. Guess what? My son & I bonded immediately. 26 yrs. later we are still extremely close.He was also an extremely healthy baby.He was hardly ever sick.His breastfed friends were sick constantly. Not my son!!

The bottom line is everyone has to decide for themselves. There really is no right or wrong. Every situation is different.I don’t judge.