Honored Contributor

did you ever have rotator cuff issues?

[ Edited ]

evidentally the clicking I get now and then is that area. Doing physical therapy now, hopefully, I can get the muscles needed to stop that restored.  We're working on it.

Honored Contributor

Re: did you ever have rotator cuff issues?

PT is so grueling but worth it.

Hope it works for you, stick with it as long as you can ( and the $$$ holds out!)

Honored Contributor

My right shoulder started really aching end of July, got worse, goet worse. Saw my PCP 2x about it. Without having an MRI to determine for sure we think I may have a slight tear (or two) in my rotator cuff. My ache crept into my upper arm, it got so bad to compensate the pain migrated across my collar bone to my left shoulder/arm. We chose to set up 10-12 PT appts which I did 8 or so; PT felt great, my guy Chad was wonderful. Very gentle, some sessions I'd loosen up then all he'd do was to gently do stretches on my right. Felt SO good but never really 'fixed' me. I cancelled the last 2 appointments. I did then and still take 2 extra strength tylenol mostly at bedtime. Eventually the pain in my shoulders & upper body (almost) totally left.

I then started having tremendous neck stiffness/cramps whatever. Bought a new contour pillow, better. I have new 'my pillows' about to be delivered. I'm trying one to see if they work for me. If not, back they go to the Q.

Bottom line - not at all sure what the heck happened to me, don't know why I'm now feeling as sore as I do. My PCP & I entertained many things - rotator cuff tear, arthritis (which I have here & there), even fibromyalgia which as we know there's really no tests for this nor cures. I was feeling SO great last year into this as I now have my hypothyroidism under control, lost wght, was working out, lifting wghts then BAM end of July and I fell apart. I have no idea what happened to me but I am too young (65) to feel like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best to you, I really hope your PT takes care of your aches.

Frequent Contributor

My husband and I are both currently going to PT for treatment of this.  My DH had an MRI that showed micro tears, and my PT did not recommend the MRI for me as my discomfort was not as significant.  We are both doing well and go to PT once or twice a week.  The first stage of treatment was alleviating the pain (inflamation).  We both had ultrasound and very gentle massage and stretching exercises.  The pain was totally gone in under 3 weeks.  The second stage that we're now in is strenthening the muscles in the shoulder so that this doesn't happen again.  My DH is doing much better at this than I am since he loves working out.  For me, it will take a little longer to get there.  But unless an MRI shows a significant tear, I think PT is the way to go.  Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal   Have the same rotator cuff problems.   The ortho doctor gave me a shot of cortisone right into the cuff area.  Hurt like heck but did help to get the inflammation down to the point where PT for 6 weeks helped.  The ortho doctor left me with these words...'after the PT is over, make sure you continue to do some of the strengthening exercises 2-3 times per week at home, or you will be right back here again'.

I have taken his advice, and it only takes about 10 minutes twice a week and, so far, all is good.  It won't cure it, but it will keep it from getting inflammed and hurting again.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, and I put off having surgery for it too long.  I stupidly kept thinking it would get better on its own - ha!   Last winter I had to have shoulder reconstruction surgery on my right shoulder and then PT for 6 months.   My recommendation is to get it fixed and dealt with ASAP, don't wait!  I've lost some range of motion and will have soreness in my shoulder forever.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

thanks, i've been twice and plan to do what I need to. good luck to you too.

Trusted Contributor

I know everyone is different when they come to recovery.  And yes I didn't have a rotator cuff tear.  I did have a frozen shoulder though.  I did go through PT and injections.  PT was very painful.  Only helped a little.  The injection helped more.  What really helped me the most...acupuncture.  I couldn't believe it.  I am now a believer!!!

Valued Contributor

I had surgeries for both rotator cuffs.  My husband recenlty completed PT for issues with both of his.  The results of his PT have been great.  I wish the same for you!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal

If you do a search you will find my saga of Rotator Cuff surgery.  I had it in June of 2018.  I am 5 months out.  It is a grueling surgery and recovery.  I am about 40-50% better. If you have to have it, you have to have it.  Try to read my thread, you will get tons of helpful tips.  I'm supposed to have the other shoulder done also, NOT!!

Good luck!!