Honored Contributor

Re: dermatologist appointment

Why would I be embarrased being naked in front of my doctor? I'm sure he's seen a lot worse than me!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have to go twice a year as I have many small freckles and they are all over, the one that most concerns her is in a place that never sees the light of day, let alone the sun.

It's very quick and a small price to pay to catch skin cancer as early as possible.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Because I have had 2 basal cell skin cancers removed from my face I go frequently. I have an old, large sleeveless nightgown that I cut up the middle. I wear that and the dr. works around it. There is a paper sheet too.

My derm checks everywhere. In my mouth, scalp...everywhere.

However, the basal cell I found myself and went in. It was a flat red spot on my nose that bled once. I have probably had 15 to 20 biopsies done because I am very fair and got sunburns as a child. The ones the dr. has found have all been negative. Fortunately.

Respected Contributor

Yes, you will have to get totally (or almost totally) undressed.  You'll be given a hospital gown to cover you.  The person examining you is a doctor.  He/she has seen more than you ever want to know about.  The examination is very important because he/she will be able to tell if there are any problem areas and work on them.  I get a full body check by a Dermatologist once a year.  I'll go before that if I see something that looks strange or out of the ordinary.

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs

When my derm retired, I found one closer to me.  Went for the body check as I had done for years before; however, in the examining room she had a really young fellow who sat in a corner and wrote down her verbal notes.

Then, I noticed that he seemed more interested in observing than writing.  That was the last time for that derm.  Could have said something then and there but more importantly she should have known better.

Laughed when I later saw her picture in one of the ads for “ Voted Best of Your Local “ whatever service provider!!!

Now the derm practice I go to is even closer and your choice of male or female derm with female attendants.  The office is always packed and the wait for appts. is lengthy.  Never does it feel uncomfortable.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Little Way wrote:

I have been to several dermatologists over the years for my annual skin cancer check.  Some are more thorough than others.  Some use a special tool to examine a mole more closely, others don't.  It's best to have a dermatologist who is thorough - even if this a little more embarrassing.  Melanoma can show up in locations that have never seen any sun.  I would give yourself a self exam before you go and make sure you tell the dermatologist to look at any spots that seem questionable to you.  Also, a really good exam involves the doctor looking through your scalp.  Also point out any dry scaly patches that won't go away.

@Little Way  I battled cancer in 2011 - trust me when I say I've never been poked and prodded so much and any modesty went out the window years ago.  I moved and just had a derm body mole check in August - this particular practice was new to me.    

I'm used to lying on the table, naked but covered with a sheet and just in underwear and the doctor pulling back the sheet with the magnifier looking over specific parts of my body in quadrants.  This doctor had me stand up (naked) and I was checked using that magnifier that way for a few minutes and then I spoke up and told her that method of an exam was exactly why ppl don't have them and she told me to hop up on the table and we proceeded with a sheet just like it's always been done by my former doc.  If you feel uncomfortable - speak up!  

Respected Contributor

@jlkz I have all of my healthcare at a teaching medical center in New England.  My healthcare person will occassionally have a student shadowing.  My Dermatologist always has a person taking notes and pictures.  I have NEVER, EVER had the problem you described.  How can "she know better", if you didn't mention it to her?  The Dermatologist is concentrating on your skin and not on the assistant.  If you felt uncomfortable, you should have said something.

Honored Contributor

I've been several times to different Drs.  They are all different and sometimes it depends on your problem.

The best thing is to wait and see what your Dr wants you to do.  I would think you'd need to put on a gown so he/she can see all of your body....but, like I said, it depends on your Dr.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000

For me, it would have been more uncomfortable saying something like that while practically naked.

I did mention it to the front desk before I left as well as no further appts. for that reason.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had it done once...was at the dems for a possible nail fungal infection and she asked if I had a full body check on moles and such. That was first time any derm ever brought it up and I have seen many derms over the yrs for rosacea to hives to acne and on and on it goes lol! I wore my panties and the gown they gave me...she checked me in sections while standing. Not embarrassing this way...If they wanted you to stand there totally nude that I wouldn't do lol! A man also would be out of the question for me unless I have the gown and do it on sections.

I try to watch as best as I can any moles or anything new in skin changes...am very pale...burned many times as a kid and teen...I just hope nothing shows up 1 day from my stupidity.

Have a relative who gets basal cell carcinomas cut off every 6months....15 or more ....he goes to tanning beds before tropical vacations and sunbathes. Out doors a lot doesn't think it's a big deal and won't use spf even!

Crazy...I wear spf all yr long just pray it's enough!