Honored Contributor

I have not been to a dermatologist before but have an appt to get body checked for moles.  Is this embarrassing? Do you have to get totally undressed?   Just wondering ahead of time!!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Contributor

Re: dermatologist appointment

Even though I have never had to have anything removed, I always go once a year to be checked.

They do tell you to remove everything but I leave my panties on and just lower them for that part of the examination. 

Honored Contributor

Whew there is nothing to be embarrased about the doctor is there to check your body for something that might be very harmeful to you.

You will be wearing a gown let the doctor know your fears and it should be fine 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I leave my bra and underwear on and they give you a sheet. 

It’s not embarrassing. At least not for me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I have a female derm.  She has me leave on my bra and panties and just pulls them aside to check those areas.  I am given a gown like a hospital gown to wear, and she just pulls it away to look at certain areas.  I do have to stand up to have my whole backside examined.  I go once a year unless she sees something she wants to recheck in 6 months.  Because I was a sun worshipper, I almost always have to have moles cut off and biopsied.

Honored Contributor

My Derm (male) has me leave on my bra and panties, but asks if there is anything there he needs to look at.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

My derm will be a female so this might make me feel less incomfortable!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I had to get totally undressed from the waist down when I had laser hair removal done in the private area. That was uncomfortable.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been to several dermatologists over the years for my annual skin cancer check.  Some are more thorough than others.  Some use a special tool to examine a mole more closely, others don't.  It's best to have a dermatologist who is thorough - even if this a little more embarrassing.  Melanoma can show up in locations that have never seen any sun.  I would give yourself a self exam before you go and make sure you tell the dermatologist to look at any spots that seem questionable to you.  Also, a really good exam involves the doctor looking through your scalp.  Also point out any dry scaly patches that won't go away.

Respected Contributor

I had a full body examination at the derm office once.  Yes, I had to get completely naked - they give you a gown, but then have to take it off.  I was uncomfortable, but, hey, I did it.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York