Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@Hooty

Well, I made it through my root canal, Hooty.

How'd you do with your appointment?

Good for you Mmsfoxxie!

Well, I still have a broken tooth, but will get it finally extracted on the 19th!!!  The Oral Surgeon was surprised that the Dentist did not pull the tooth, I don't know why either, I guess she had her reasons, but I am not happy about it!

Thanks for checking on me!Smiley Happy

Finally, I got my tooth extracted this morning, the procedure was a piece of cake, I was asleep and didn't even feel a thing!  This afternoon is a little different, been taking pain meds every 4 hrs. and am still hurting, hopefully things will be better tomorrow!

Oh, Hooty, good for you!  I didn't know that they put you to sleep for an extraction.  Maybe that why you were referred to an oral surgeon.  I'll have to keep that in mind cause I'm a big chicken.  Hopefully by tomorrow your pain will be minimal.  

How long were you under?  Did someone go with you?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Hi Foxxie, yes I was put to sleep for about 20-30 mins. and did not feel anything.  My DH went with me, I was very sleepy for a couple of hours, and could not drive myself home!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

Hi Foxxie, yes I was put to sleep for about 20-30 mins. and did not feel anything.  My DH went with me, I was very sleepy for a couple of hours, and could not drive myself home!

That's what I thought, Hooty.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Contributor

I am having terrible issues with my once beautiful teeth.  Breaking, cracking, falling out in my mouth etc.  I may have to have a denture made.  Have seen two oral surgeons and the tell me this is all because of the drugs we take for bone loss.  I've taken re-clast & prolia.    I have spent a fortune trying to keep my teeth, now it looks like I'll have to spend another fortune for dentures.......which I hear have their own set of problems.  Any help would be appreciated.  Sheldo.

Regular Contributor

So Friday I was eating a small piece of cookie and felt something hard, spit it out and saw a tooth piece, OMG, I thought this can't be happening, looked in the mirror and saw and old crown (it still looked beautiful), had a piece of the porcelain cracked off (molar).  Went to the dentist yesterday and decided because it was so old (about 15 years), that it was best to replace, so $1060 dollars later, here we go again, geez.  This was the year of the tooth, can't believe all I have spent on my teeth this year.  She told me to wear Drs Nightguard, so yes I started wearing it, I can't afford my clenching at night to ruin my teeth anymore.

Super Contributor

What a wealth of information on this thread!

Honored Contributor

Re: dental issues

[ Edited ]

@dsky

I hear ya about being shocked at what you can spend on dental woes in just 12 months or less.  

In Novemver of 2014, I cracked a tooth.  Ran to the dentist and got a crown...almost $400 with insurance.  The dentist suggested an old bridge be replaced cause I kept getting an abscess.  Forgot what I paid but it was pricy even with insurance, I think it was a little over a thousand dollars because it consisted of maybe 3 teeth.  A general cleaning, then a scaling.  A couple of months after the bridge, a tooth that connected the bridge started hurting (IMO it was because of being constantly disturbed through other work) and I had to have a root canal, $183.  Thought I was done until last Tuesday when my wisdom tooth started hurting.  I wasn't sure which one was hurting, actually.  Got a dental appointment this past Thursday thinking I might need another root canal to find out that wisdom tooth needed to come out, $65.  Baby that I am, was surprised that it only took about two minutes to "rock it out", his words, lol.  No pain until later that day and and 2 Advils took care of that.

All in all, even with insurance, I've spend close to $2000 on my mouth in less than 12 months.  It's only a semi complaint though because I'm so very thankful that I was able to afford dental care and in such a comfortable way.  When my mom was my age, because of gum disease, she had no teeth and could only afford that snap in type partial.  It never fit her well.

BTW, my dental insurance is only $21.70 a month since my retirement this June.  Prior to that, I had it through my job.  My plan is still affordable because of Cobra for the next 18 months.  After that, I'll probably cry when I see the premium increase, lol.

Regular Contributor

You are lucky to have dental insurance, my dentist doesn't take the one I would qualify for so I pay every cent.  From May to July I have spent about 4 thousand, with this last crown another 1060 dollars.  I am afraid to eat anything that has a crunch to it.  I would have to change dentist's if I get my own plan and I am not ready to do this as I do love my dentist.

Honored Contributor

@dsky

Dsky, I don't think I could love my dentist that much, lol.  But I'm happy that you can afford to do without it.  My crown was three hundred and something and that was hard to swallow.

Is there a reason why your insurance is not accepted?

Regular Contributor

Re: dental issues

[ Edited ]

Well I never have had dental insurance so now that I am divorced I inquired about it and my dentist only takes the kind that is not available to me in my tax bracket.  I don't like new doctors and have been going since 2002.  I am hoping that this latest issue is my last for awhile.  I now do wear a night guard so hopefully that will curtail any more breaks.  I know that some day I might have to ask around and find a dentist that will take an insurance that is available to me.