Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

At what point is enough , enough? I only have a few teeth left that haven't had at least a filling, if not a root canal or more. I have 2 bridges and one of them needs replaced for another $2000. I have dental ins. but it won't cover this as the bridge is only a few years old.I have a lot of tenderness from my teeth, despite having so much expensive work done on them. At this point and at my age (66) I am beginning to feel I'd rather just have them removed than continue to have all this expensive and painful dental work all the time. I take very good care , brushing, flossing and gargling all to no avail. Flossing is how I cracked my bridge. Both my parents had dentures - I think I just have genetically bad teeth.

You may want to have a second opinon about your teeth. Dentures are used as a last option today. A custom denture can cost 7-8 K.

Honored Contributor

Well, yesterday, I bought dental insurance thru Delta Dental, which is the carrier I had through my employer through 6-30-15.  It will cost me $35 a month for a single plan.  Hubby said he didn't want it because it was borderline cost effective, which I agree.  But I know I have some issues that need immediate attention and I was told that since my former policy just ended, the waiting period for procedures would be waived.  I know I need a root canal so I will be coming out ahead by a few dollars.  If I just needed regular cleanings and filling this coming year, I would not hve gotten it.  Six in one hand, half dozen in the other, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

When I was a kid I went to the dentist faithfully.  Both my Mom and Dad were not able to get the Dental Care they needed when young and decided that would not happen to me.  Over the course of many years I had cavities after cavities and I would stoically go in, have the work done and then in 6 months have another load of cavities to fix.  When I was going pretty much all the time, week after week having this done and then realize that about 4 months had gone by having repairs and I'd have to have another 6 mo check up in 2 months AND they found about 6 more cavities my Dad went WHOA.  It didn't dawn on us that the dentist we trusted was drilling on mere striations (discolored areas and not cavities)... He was either incredibly incompetent OR he was dishonest.... both of which have the same outcome!

My parents took me to another dentist.  That new dentist said I had NO CAVITIES and chances are most of my mouth had been cavity free.  In the meantime, all the drilling and filling for all those years weakened my back teeth horribly and I eventually had crowns put on four molars.  I've had other problems as well. 

We were taken for an expensive and painful ride.  The result was not good, especially for my jaw which was already suffering from the TMJ I have had since I was 8 years old.

So I've had a hard time trusting the dentists I go to, but I go....   but our responsibility to research our dentists, research how much services should cost and be prepared to leave and find another one if you suspect things are not right.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

When I was a kid I went to the dentist faithfully.  Both my Mom and Dad were not able to get the Dental Care they needed when young and decided that would not happen to me.  Over the course of many years I had cavities after cavities and I would stoically go in, have the work done and then in 6 months have another load of cavities to fix.  When I was going pretty much all the time, week after week having this done and then realize that about 4 months had gone by having repairs and I'd have to have another 6 mo check up in 2 months AND they found about 6 more cavities my Dad went WHOA.  It didn't dawn on us that the dentist we trusted was drilling on mere striations (discolored areas and not cavities)... He was either incredibly incompetent OR he was dishonest.... both of which have the same outcome!

My parents took me to another dentist.  That new dentist said I had NO CAVITIES and chances are most of my mouth had been cavity free.  In the meantime, all the drilling and filling for all those years weakened my back teeth horribly and I eventually had crowns put on four molars.  I've had other problems as well. 

We were taken for an expensive and painful ride.  The result was not good, especially for my jaw which was already suffering from the TMJ I have had since I was 8 years old.

So I've had a hard time trusting the dentists I go to, but I go....   but our responsibility to research our dentists, research how much services should cost and be prepared to leave and find another one if you suspect things are not right.... 

Q4U...that's such a shame.  If you knew where he was and sued him, it wouldn't help your mouth, would it.  Such unethical people in this world.

I had a similar situation with a dentist from my church when my kids were little.  Later in life, all of their work had to be done over, too.  Strange, but his office was always full and we'd have to wait hours for our turn.  He was cheap, lol.  And (now I realize) too old to be still working.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Something good about dental insurance is that they have to have x rays to prove you need the work done before they approve it. My last trip to the dentist he told me I needed a filling that the insurance refused. The tooth looked perfect on x Ray. I try to wait until we come home in the summer to my old dentist to have anything done.

Honored Contributor

Re: dental issues

[ Edited ]
I got a letter today from a company in Nebraska stating that because I just retired, I was eligible for Cobra benefits. I cannot tell you how much calling around I had done to see if I was eligible for this. I was told by my job that Cobra was not available for me because of my job category (teacher assistant instead of teacher). Two days ago, I enrolled on my own for dental ins. at $35 a month because I'm in the process of having work done.. Through that policy, I'd have to wait get any further benefit til August.

Lo and behold, I get a letter today stating that I am eligible for Cobra. I had to call the dental provider back, cancel the policy from 2 days ago, then go online to register for the continuation of my former policy which means I don't have to wait til August.

But here's the thing. I'm a lay person who knows nothing. Why would they wait til the middle of the month to let me know this?? The Cobra policy is $21.76 which is cheaper than the one I enrolled in 2 days ago.

Btw, with Cobra, the medical ins that I had was a whopping $785 monthly!! Who can pay that? I declined that one for sure.

It's sad that one has to feel their way through this process. My job has known I'm retiring since March. Nobody had answers for me. I'm spent the better part of the day on the phone...mostly on hold. Well, looks like the end result is good.
Honored Contributor

I understood that "Cobra" was an interim policy until you are able to provide your own so there will be no gap between insurers . When DH was laid off in 2010, he was eligible for Cobra and we got it, but it ran out after (I believe) 18 months.   The trick is to get new policies (or a job) before the deadline.  I'd check into this if I were you just so you aren't left at the end of the time period with no where to go....  And yes, Cobra is generally cheaper than conventional policies but as I said.... there is a finite time to Cobra.

Honored Contributor

Mmsfoxxie, those were back in the days when no one thought to sue anyone... it's a shame because that guy deserved to be sued....  

Honored Contributor
Q4U, the Cobra for dental was cheaper than an individual plan but the medical was outrageous considering I have Medicare now. Yes, Cobra is for 18 months but that gives me plenty of time to finish getting some major things done. The best thing about it is that the waiting period for certain procedures is waived. I need a root canal right now and can't afford to wait, I think, eighteen months if I had bought a plan on my own. There's always a gimmick, you know.
Honored Contributor

I just get them pulled.  Thankfully, not that many.