Respected Contributor

I have a problem tooth upper very last molar in the back. 

Due to a long series of misfortunes and such, the tooth has had a root canal and 2 crowns in the last 10 years.  Now the crown is damaged and the tooth maybe damaged.  

The most recent damage is related to a change in my bite, now I wear Invisalign to correct that problem.

The issue now is with the molar on the top, far back.  If the tooth is too damaged it may need be pulled and replaced with an implant.

Ugghhh.  This sounds like a HORRIBLE place to put an implant.

Has anyone had this done???

Because my mouth is small I have had several teeth removed when young, just to get my teeth to fit in my mouth.  So removal a molar is not advised for chewing purposes.  

I literally have the million dollar $mile!!

Esteemed Contributor

Why don't you do a consult with a periodontist? He/she can answer your questions and give you your options.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Why don't you do a consult with a periodontist? He/she can answer your questions and give you your options.

I have that is how I know the implant option is on the table.

I have YET to find anyone has undergone this awful process in the back of one's mouth.

The doctor did admit it is going to be a VERY hard place to get to due to my small mouth.

One hygienist recommended I look for a dr with very small hands!

Honored Contributor

I have small teeth and a small mouth and I lost a back molar.  I didn't have an implant, and have been fine without it  You can't tell the tooth is missing unless you are a dentist looking in my mouth. 

Just adding a thought and that certainly may not be right for your situation.  You are wise to get a lot of professional information before deciding on a dentist and course of action.

Respected Contributor

I would not do the implant quickly.  Take it one step at a time.  IF the tooth has to be pulled, you may find out that you can live with that empty space.

That's what I have done.

You may want to get a second and third opinion.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  Thank you for the thought.  Trust me, if vanity was the decision maker I would:

A- not have Invisalign (my teeth are straight- the bite is off)

B--would have had the molar pulled more than a decade ago

(everyone is trying to save this tooth as I had 8 teeth removed already and the loss of this tooth is going to cause chewing problems and a domino effect of other concerns)

Respected Contributor

I have a small mouth and large teeth and have an implant in the far upper left molar. I am happy with it but the process is quite an ordeal. The bone had to be built up with cadaver bone. The installation involved the use of a mallet which vibrated through my head. The upside is that it is just like having your own tooth. Bridges often damage the tooth it is attached to. My dental insurance didn't pay for it so it cost me around $4,000.

Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I would not do the implant quickly.  Take it one step at a time.  IF the tooth has to be pulled, you may find out that you can live with that empty space.

That's what I have done.

You may want to get a second and third opinion.  Good luck.

Sister I agree 100%.  I have paid for several consults over the last 7 months.  The idea of an implant makes me sick.

It's very frustrating- I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars and lots of time and maintenance on my teeth and gums and I have been plagued with problems.  It is so discouraging.  

Super Contributor

I too have had several permanent teeth pulled years ago because of a small mouth.  After having a back bottom molar crowned a few times, and root canal, it had to be pulled.  I had a bone graft done and then an implant.  Expensive, but worth it for me.  

Anesthesia was optional.  (Not for me though because I detest anything going on in my mouth.)  I took it because my mouth could be opened wider due to the state of relaxation.  Afterwards both the oral surgeon and I were glad that I had the anesthesia.  

If necessary, I guess I would do it again.  I am glad it is done.  Make the decision for yourself.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I have a small mouth and large teeth and have an implant in the far upper left molar. I am happy with it but the process is quite an ordeal. The bone had to be built up with cadaver bone. The installation involved the use of a mallet which vibrated through my head. The upside is that it is just like having your own tooth. Bridges often damage the tooth it is attached to. My dental insurance didn't pay for it so it cost me around $4,000.

You lucked out. It depends on where you live and what is done, but in CA having an implant with bone graft is more like $5000-$6000.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all