Valued Contributor

Re: da Vinci robotic hysterectomy - in one week

Sixteen years ago I was in an emergency room and admitted for surgery because my grapefruit size tumor and abscess that had burst during an accident was sending poison thru my body.  Infection had gone into my intestine.  Surgery was four hours and I was in ICU for three days and stayed in the hospital for ten.  I was only released when an in home nurse was hired.  The incision was vertical from waist and one inch open wound that was stapled.  I had four drainage pouches.  I was recovering in the several months following surgery.  This was probably a worst case scenario for a hysterectomy but I am here in pretty good health knowing your surgery will go well.  To this day I do have sensitivity to restrictive clothing around my waist but I am glad that and my scar are the only reminders.

Respected Contributor

I find it interesting that they'd use the robotic thing for uterine cancer.  I had a hysterectomy for very early stage endometrial cancer in 1993 (confined to the lining of my uterus only, hadn't penetrated thru the lining)  My GYN & the gyno-oncologist told me it had to be done as an open surgery so they could check & examine the lymph nodes & abdominal area to make sure there were no other malignancies.  My scar is from my belly button down.  Luckily, I needed no chemo or radiation & have never had a recurrance, I'm still diligent about having my annual tests done.

Super Contributor

Back in my mid 40s I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids.   Since my fibroids were so large, the surgery could not be laproscopic.  I was able to keep one ovary so I did not go into menopause.  I was out of work for 6 weeks.  I took good care of myself after surgery,  taking naps and walking.   I felt so much better after the hysterectormy because my whole life my peroids took so much out of me causing me to be anemic and exhausted.  

Best wishes to you on your surgery.   You will be fine.   Tallgal

Super Contributor

I don't remember my doctor mentioning prolapse before I had my surgery.  He may have but I had so many things going on.  I did have a prolapse shortly after the surgery and it progressively worsened.  There are multiple things that can be done for a prolapse such as having a pessary or different surgical methods.  A pecssary is inserted to keep the prolapse from coming out.  I decided to start with this method to see if it would help.   I may have to choose another option if the pessary fails me.   So far, so good!