Esteemed Contributor

Re: da Vinci robotic hysterectomy - in one week

Hmmm...I've never heard of "robotic" hysterectomy.   I had a complete laparoscopic hysterectomy at age 40.  I'm now 72.  There were 2 tiny incisions, one in my belly button, so no scars now.  I was in the hospital 2 days and recovered at home very quickly.  I was back at work in 2 weeks.  I really never had any pain, just some discomfort and extreme exhaustion for a few days.  You body goes thru instant menopause.  They put a hormone patch on me during surgery, and I wore hormone patches for 2 or 3 years afterwards.  I didn't have any hot flashes or other menopause symptoms.   Thank goodness.

It was all easy peazy.  Fast recovery, no long-term effects.   I wish the same for you.  Please let us know how you are after the surgery.  I hope you have a painless, speedy recovery!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@Mayflowers wrote:

I'm have a total hysterectomy soon and am really afraid of the recovery.  I am removing ovaries, uterus, and cervix.  I have read a ton of stuff on the Hystersisters website, some good and some bad. I'm getting really nervous.  Anybody have any experiences to share? I am 50. I'm having this done because of fibroids.

I had a complete hysterectomy years ago and was fine. It took awhile to get my strength back like any surgery. I wish I had done it sooner. I had fibroids, pain, heavy bleeding, etc. I did go on HRT after. My only fear would be the Da Vinci. I'm sure you've done all your research though. I am praying you have a speedy recovery. 

Honored Contributor

@Mayflowers wrote:

I'm have a total hysterectomy soon and am really afraid of the recovery.  I am removing ovaries, uterus, and cervix.  I have read a ton of stuff on the Hystersisters website, some good and some bad. I'm getting really nervous.  Anybody have any experiences to share? I am 50. I'm having this done because of fibroids.

@Mayflowers  I was you a little over 7 yrs. ago, but in my mid-50's at the time.  In addition to the fibroids, I had some other things going on too.  I had the DaVinci method and they took everything.  I bounced back really fast, felt great within a few days.  Even so. I still followed doctor's ordered regarding physical limitations like lifting, pushing a heavy shopping cart or vacuum, etc.  Stay positive, you'll be so glad you did it.  Good luck. 

Respected Contributor

I had a hysterectomy along with a right-side oophorectomy. My reason was because of cervical dysplasia and an ovarian cyst. However, I was adamant with my doctor not to remove the other ovary. 

It took about 2 weeks for me to fully recover. I did have a urinary tract infection about a week after. Walking was slow since I felt if I moved too fast my innards would fall out, lol! I had very little pain, but had to sleep in a recliner the first week or so since I couldn't get out of a regular bed. But, then, my surgeon had to do an abdominal incision since she couldn't remove my uterus vaginally.

Contributor

I had the da Vinci robot for a total hysterectomy with removal of ovaries cervix tubes and uterus. I actually had a combo of the robot and a bikini-line cut because they needed to take the uterus out whole to test for cancer (negative, thank goodness). I had a huge fibroid that was causing me to be anemic. The robot is awesome, much less chance of infection and a quicker recovery. Like the other poster, it has taken me a while to get my strength back, but I'm working with a physical therapist and things are going well. Go easy on yourself, listen to your body, you'll be fine.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 38. Before that bleeding so much that i was as white as a ghost (never saw one).

Never thought that anything could be done to stop it until after the surgery.

One question. Has everyone who have had a total hysterectomy gone through menopause? I´m over 60 and have not.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 

You should have experienced what is known as surgical menopause immediately after your hysterectomy.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 -- as I stated above, I had a complete hysterectomy before I was 40.  They put a hormone patch on me during surgery, and I wore a hormone patch every day for about 3 years after.  Then, my doc put me on Premarin pills, which I made the decision to stop myself after 2 years.  I never had menopause symptoms like hot flashes, etc.   

Prior to my hysterectory, I had the same symptoms as you did - plus I'd had 3 surgeries to remove ovarian cysts and I needed a 4th.    The laporascopic hysterectomy was a blessing for me.  I felt so good afterward.  It was almost instant.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 38. Before that bleeding so much that i was as white as a ghost (never saw one).

Never thought that anything could be done to stop it until after the surgery.

One question. Has everyone who have had a total hysterectomy gone through menopause? I´m over 60 and have not.

@Sage04 

Heck, I'd just count myself lucky!

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Sage04 

You should have experienced what is known as surgical menopause immediately after your hysterectomy.   

I don´t know if that happened but Ididn´t feel any different. I wore a patch right after surgery for a few months but the patch irritated my skin so I was given tablets instead.