Esteemed Contributor

Re: da Vinci robotic hysterectomy - in one week

@tototwo wrote:

@Sage04 -- as I stated above, I had a complete hysterectomy before I was 40.  They put a hormone patch on me during surgery, and I wore a hormone patch every day for about 3 years after.  Then, my doc put me on Premarin pills, which I made the decision to stop myself after 2 years.  I never had menopause symptoms like hot flashes, etc.   

Prior to my hysterectory, I had the same symptoms as you did - plus I'd had 3 surgeries to remove ovarian cysts and I needed a 4th.    The laporascopic hysterectomy was a blessing for me.  I felt so good afterward.  It was almost instant.

The patch irritated my skin so I was given Premarin pills for about a year. Hope it never comes.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 38. Before that bleeding so much that i was as white as a ghost (never saw one).

Never thought that anything could be done to stop it until after the surgery.

One question. Has everyone who have had a total hysterectomy gone through menopause? I´m over 60 and have not.

@Sage04 

Heck, I'd just count myself lucky!

Thanks because I´ve heard a lot about it and i could do with it.

Esteemed Contributor

My doctor was a male and he tried everything to help me before he did the surgery but nothing worked. I was against having a hysterectomy so he recommended a myomectomy and I agreed although he told me it would´nt work. It didn´t and two weeks later I had the hysterectomy. Best thing ever.  It was a lot better than passing out and being taken to the emergency room.

My MD said male doctors always recommend that surgery because it´s just easier for them, and they just don´t understand what it does to a woman.  I told her I did what was best for me.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 

Based on your last reply, your menopause was addressed after surgery.  

Super Contributor

Yes, three years ago I had laparoscopic da vinci hysterectomy (in my early 40's), due to severe endometriosis.  I kept my ovaries.  They did test them "while they were in there".  If they detected abnormalities they would have come out too.  I was only in the hospital overnight, no real issues other than nausea after the anesthesia.  Be very honest with your post op nurses, if you feel poorly, tell them, they have lots of help to offer.

I also had 5 or 6 small (1" incisions) at various locations on my abdomen and they've already faded significantly.  I was back at my desk job after 3 weeks off with very little soreness remaining.  

Hyster Sisters was also a great help to me, but remember, people who don't have bad stories to tell don't usually post back there once they're done.  There are lots of successes, we just don't always hear about them.  

My only advice is use a stool softener.  The first BM post op was WOW, crampy, I guess I'll say.   After all, they have to move everything around while they're in there, so I think my intestines were just jumbled.  After that first one I was fine.  Sorry if that is TMI, but I think it's important to share.  

Best wishes for a smooth procedure and recovery @Mayflowers 

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

My gynecologist was going to give me a partial hysterectomy. I went to see my cousin who was a general surgeon. In practical words he said you have had your children. They served their job. Take everything. He did the surgery and I was so great full. My two best friends had a partial and they both have passed away. Cancer that traveled to other parts of the body. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@Sage04 

Based on your last reply, your menopause was addressed after surgery.  

I don´t understand what you meant by that statement. Please explain your statement. Can someone go through menopause without knowing it? From what I´ve heard, it´s impossible.

From what i know, it hasn´t happened to me.

What my MD meant about what it des to a woman, she meant that it made some women feel less than a woman. That was a dumb statement from her. 

Valued Contributor

@Mayflowers I had the total hysterectomy surgery, not robotic many years ago. People tried to tell me their horror stories about the surgery and if you listen to them you will be scared stiff.

Don't listen to them. The majority of surgeries go without any problems at all. Have faith your surgery will go well.

My only thing I wish someone had told me was that you will probably have morning sickness for a few days, and that figures just because of the hormone sort of thing.

Believe your surgery will go well, and be well. 

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 

Menopause happens to us as a result of our ovaries stopping the production of hormones.   

If you had a complete hysterectomy, and have NO ovaries, you went thru surgical menopause immediately because of the surgery, which was addressed thru your patches and pills.   

You have already been thru menopause!

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Sage04 

Menopause happens to us as a result of our ovaries stopping the production of hormones.   

If you had a complete hysterectomy, and have NO ovaries, you went thru surgical menopause immediately because of the surgery, which was addressed thru your patches and pills.   

You have already been thru menopause!

@RedTopI´m so glad I didn´t know.